• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Leaking Rudder log/gland/port etc.

Rosco

Exploring the BC Coast E35-2, Yanmar 3GM30
Having listened to CW on Audible and read on this site the various lamentations on the rudder issue I knew exactly where to look when I was taking my 'new to me' E35 '74 to her new marina which thankfully was a mere 12 nm run. My first plan of attack will be to install a zerk and pump as much grease as I can. The only fear I have is getting close enough. I will need a bendy moment for sure. I am 6' 2" and 220lbs so in the ballpark for size suitability. So I will drill as deep as the zerk thread and then finish with smaller drill bit the same depth as the gland is thick. Test to see that its through to shaft then epoxy the zerk in place. Has anybody had long term success with this fix? My guess is that in my case it will solve the issue as the boat sat for a year so the dried out dusty packing and sleeve is likely thirsty for grease.

Attachments

• 1. Rudder.jpg
    1. Rudder.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:

Dave G.

1984 E30+ Ludington, MI
Grease can't hurt but most likely need to repack it too. I am not familiar with your rudder and it looks nothing like mine. Hopefully someone with same boat and or rudder design will give you better info. I think if you search you'll find a couple of blogs here about installing zerks into a rudder tube. This one is a different model but some will apply.

Rosco

Grease can't hurt but most likely need to repack it too. I am not familiar with your rudder and it looks nothing like mine. Hopefully someone with same boat and or rudder design will give you better info. I think if you search you'll find a couple of blogs here about installing zerks into a rudder tube. This one is a different model but some will apply.

Thanks Dave, I think that you are correct. I have had success with a leaking shaft with Syntef paste. Which is made for a much more robust application on the drive shaft. If that can work with water coming in in the video that will add a seal to existing packing as Christian new packing demonstrated. I happen to have a full tube which I think I will add to the application.

Last edited:

Rosco

Zerk is in, Pumped alot of grease until it oozed out the top. It was quite trouble free in terms of drilling, securing Zerk, pumping grease. Only issue was pulling gun off the zerk which I then replaced with fresh epoxy which will be replaced with the prescribed 1/2inch threaded Zerk for stronger bite. Christian was correct on the larger zerk. Below is the right proper zerk. Below that is Oscar Zerk.
Thank you Christian and Oscar.

1678727227997.png
1678727350622.png

Attachments

• Zerk.jpg
    Zerk.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 21

Rosco

Update with 26 hours of use...No issues. No water ingress. steering is great. I installed the 4 ft whip so if i need to pump grease I can do it while in cockpit but have not had to.

Mr. Scarlett

Member III
Is the zerk above the waterline? I want to do this too (lots of water getting in).
Where do you keep the boat? Mine is in False Creek.

Rosco

Is the zerk above the waterline? I want to do this too (lots of water getting in).
Yes the Zerk is above waterline and about 1 foot from the top of the rudder stock top. I drilled thru to the shaft and it is very apperent when it hits thee shaft for a nano second. The drill bit was small enough to ensure the zerk created thread as i tightened it on. I covered the shaft of the zerk with epoxy and wound it in. I then smeared epoxy around the zerk to give it a strong hold. I filled it with grease until grease was coming out the top. I then decided to attach the whip so I did not need to climb down into the lazarette again. Further from the port side aft berth I have easy visual on the shaft to see if water is coming in. I just pumped it full again this past week. That took me about a minute. All set for a couple more months. The whip is great. 4' length is about $10 from Greenline hose. Love Greenline by the way!

Rosco

I know your boat. You are at Spruce? I am at Vancouver Rowing Club.

windblown

Member III
Yes the Zerk is above waterline and about 1 foot from the top of the rudder stock top. I drilled thru to the shaft and it is very apperent when it hits thee shaft for a nano second. The drill bit was small enough to ensure the zerk created thread as i tightened it on. I covered the shaft of the zerk with epoxy and wound it in. I then smeared epoxy around the zerk to give it a strong hold. I filled it with grease until grease was coming out the top. I then decided to attach the whip so I did not need to climb down into the lazarette again. Further from the port side aft berth I have easy visual on the shaft to see if water is coming in. I just pumped it full again this past week. That took me about a minute. All set for a couple more months. The whip is great. 4' length is about $10 from Greenline hose. Love Greenline by the way!
The whip idea is a game changer. Thanks, Genius!

Mr. Scarlett

Member III
As it turns out, there is less water coming in through the rudder tube than I thought. I recently bypassed the lower fresh water tank but did not realize that the vents for both tanks were joined, which meant that with a pressed fwd tank water had a path to the lower tank and into the bilge. Quite a bit of water. Fingers crossed that's taken care of now.

@Rosco I've wondered about leaving/returning your marina. Do you have to allow for tide at the bridge? It really rips through there, I can't imagine trying to push through it. I used to be at Shelter Island and know all about getting in at ~0300;)

Rosco

As it turns out, there is less water coming in through the rudder tube than I thought. I recently bypassed the lower fresh water tank but did not realize that the vents for both tanks were joined, which meant that with a pressed fwd tank water had a path to the lower tank and into the bilge. Quite a bit of water. Fingers crossed that's taken care of now.

@Rosco I've wondered about leaving/returning your marina. Do you have to allow for tide at the bridge? It really rips through there, I can't imagine trying to push through it. I used to be at Shelter Island and know all about getting in at ~0300;)
Yes, they call it 1st 'Narrows' for that reason ...it is a narrows. I usually return on a slack or flood tide. I have also left when I had to against the tide which can be done using 30' depth close to Stanley Park then punch thru at 2 knots. Best to use the tides tho.
Attempting to enter in these big Summer tides is not a great idea... enter on flood /exit on an ebb is super easy.

Mr. Scarlett

Member III
Yes, they call it 1st 'Narrows' for that reason ...it is a narrows. I usually return on a slack or flood tide. I have also left when I had to against the tide which can be done using 30' depth close to Stanley Park then punch thru at 2 knots. Best to use the tides tho.
Attempting to enter in these big Summer tides is not a great idea... enter on flood /exit on an ebb is super easy.
Yes, I go through First Narrows often, just with a bit more horsepower. I often wonder what it would be like with a typical sailboat setup.
I am sometimes at the rowing club and if I see you and your boat I'll introduce myself.

HerbertFriedman

Member III
A question on the 4 foot whip extension: from the photograph is looks like both ends of this whip are male threads, probably the tapered variety, so I do not see how one end fits on the zerk fitting? I too have trouble getting into position to hold the end of the grease gun in the zerk fitting.

Rosco

I have a small box of zerks with various fittings and attached a female in casing end and male (which comes with a plastic end cap) on the upper end at the top of the lazarette lid. I attached it with a zap strap so when I open the lazarette, the zerk is at knee level and super slick to attach, pump grease, detach, put grease gun away - all in a about 2 minutes. That small box of zerks is available online or any hardware store...great to have on hand and I think I bought mine 15 years ago. I don't bother trying to find stainless or brass as they are covered in grease.

Attachments

• zerks.jpg
    zerks.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 2

HerbertFriedman

Member III
Sorry but I am still confused. From the photo of the box if zerks, all seem to have a male, tapered thread which screws into the rudder tube, and a round ball fitting at the other end. The photo of the 4 foot hose has a male (probably tapered) thread on both ends. So how do you connect the whip to the zerk ball fitting?