• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Leaking windows

hughschmidt

We have a new to us 87 35' Ericson in shakedown mode. In rainy weather, even with 2 new port lights, water drips. The runoff above holds water on the lower tracks of the sills. A friend with and old Beneteau bought some glue on awnings that shield his port lites. Any Ericson owners care to weigh in on this?

Bolo

Contributing Partner
I’m assuming that you’re talking about water leaking in during a rain while the port is open and not water leaking in around the port. If so then they need to be re-bedded with butyl tape, not silicone. I think butyl tape is best and I’ve had great success with the stuff but then every sailor seems to have his or her own “religion” when it come to sealing port lights.

If however your talking about rain leaking in though an open port then, yes, I installed slightly smoked acrylic shields above all of the opening ports years ago and they worked out very well. They are the kind that glue on to the cabin exterior wall with special tape. The only time a little water has come in was during a pounding rain when the water was bouncing off the deck and up under the shields but that is very rare. Otherwise in most rain storms they keep the water out but let the air in. I even keep my head port open when I leave the boat to air it out when I’m gone. I included the link below but not sure if this is the exact brand I installed although it looks just like it. I found them in an ad at the back of SAIL magazine. If you do install them keep two things in mind. One, the exterior cabin wall needs to be really clean so the tape will adhere well. Second, when using the special tape you reall get only one shot at it. That stuff sticks fast and is difficult to pull off if you want to re-position the shield.

Here’s the link: https://seaworthygoods.com/collections/portvisor

Also attached a phot of them on my 32-3.

Attachments

• 0A57880D-6ED5-46F1-BB38-AAEDAC1C4E64.jpeg
    0A57880D-6ED5-46F1-BB38-AAEDAC1C4E64.jpeg
    138.8 KB · Views: 9

kapnkd

kapnkd
We have a new to us 87 35' Ericson in shakedown mode. In rainy weather, even with 2 new port lights, water drips. The runoff above holds water on the lower tracks of the sills. A friend with and old Beneteau bought some glue on awnings that shield his port lites. Any Ericson owners care to weigh in on this?
Ahhh YES!!! ...Been there & done it!!

As the vinyl/rubber seals between the glass and aluminum frame get older and dry out, the inevitable leaks are bound to happen. Ultimately removing the complete port and replacing the vinyl/rubber extrusions will need to be done. (There ARE sources available for the job be it via Catalina or a company located close to Cleveland, Ohio.

Before you do that, try using “Capt. Tolley’s Leaking Crack Cure”. It’s a penetrating solution of silicon that seeps in and can seal up those small but pesky water leaks without leaving an ugly, messy and gloppy residue on your glass and aluminum frame.

BAE64F76-58FA-4AFD-A7B2-AE7A3209EC10.jpeg