• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

leaky rudder packing E-35-2

Brisdon

Inactive Member
I am having a long standing problem with a leaky rudder packing. The way it is designed, the groove for the waxed linen is in the upper removable disk, flange, thingy, and the lower one (that is glassed into the rudder tube is flat on top). No matter how tightly I try to pack it with packing it spews when I am on a heel. I think part of the problem is excessive clearance as the bronze has worn leaving the shaft a little giggly. Has anyone come up with the sure fire way to wrap these things so that the bilge isn't soaked after a good sail?? I don't mind pulling the rudder if I have to. IS there a modern aftermarket thing that will replace this wet union on an older boat without guting out the entire rudder tube? Thanks in advance for any clues.

saildad

Member II
leaky rudder packing

Brisdon
I own a 74 35 MK II and I have never really had an issue in this area. I can tell you that I have indeed replaced my rudder bushing. Of course I was doing a bottom job at the time. I am sure this is an "out of the water" job all the way. I had too much slop in the old bushing. I had heard from others that delrin plastic was the way to go and after a year they were all correct. Here's what I did: once the rudder was dropped out I was able to drive the old bushing out with a long screwdriver. I got a piece of delrin round stock in 12 inch lengths because thats the only way the plastics store would sell it. I took the old bushing, the rudder and the round stock to my local machine shop and told then what I needed as far as demensions and they made me the bushing. I coated the new bushing with epoxy and used a lengthe of all thread to pulll the bushing into place. Once it was into place I did have to do a small bit of sanding to the inside of the bushing for the perfect fit. As I said I did this about a year ago and havent had a bit of a problem since.
Hope this helps
Capt BILL
"ON PORPOISE II
74 E35 MK II
Channel Islands Harbor

Brisdon

Inactive Member
When I pulled my rudder in 2001, I re-fared the bottom portion of the tube with epoxy and filler, and it's remained pretty good. It's not that there's to much jiggle, I just have to much water coming through the packing at the top of the tube. I think I may have solved the problem though. I put three rows of packing around the shaft and then wrapped it with about 10 wraps of rip stop cut into a strip. No when I clamp down on the thing it acts like a single thing that squeezes the shaft and can't colapse outward between the two plates. Before, the packing was getting clamped between the two plates without squeezing the shaft. I wonder if I have a different packing gland on my boat than the factory spec? I'm going to start looking at other E35-2's to see what the deal is. Haven't taken it out yet since I did the installation, If it works I will post it. Thanks again for your reply Saildad

NateHanson

Sustaining Member
When I pulled my rudder in 2001, I re-fared the bottom portion of the tube with epoxy and filler, and it's remained pretty good. It's not that there's to much jiggle, I just have to much water coming through the packing at the top of the tube. I think I may have solved the problem though. I put three rows of packing around the shaft and then wrapped it with about 10 wraps of rip stop cut into a strip. No when I clamp down on the thing it acts like a single thing that squeezes the shaft and can't colapse outward between the two plates. Before, the packing was getting clamped between the two plates without squeezing the shaft. I wonder if I have a different packing gland on my boat than the factory spec? I'm going to start looking at other E35-2's to see what the deal is. Haven't taken it out yet since I did the installation, If it works I will post it. Thanks again for your reply Saildad

Perhaps you've got it solved already, but could you also just use a thicker packing material, and fewer wraps? That's a big shaft so maybe it takes packing that's bigger than the small sizes WM carries (primarily for approx. 1" prop shafts).

Last edited:

Brisdon

Inactive Member
The groove or rebate in the fitting that clamps down to hold the packing is only about 3/8" wide, and about 1/4 inch deep. The bigger packing was pinching between the two plates and not squeezing the shaft. Now I have three bands of packing that are 1/4, and I have them wrapped with this rip-stop I was talking about. The packing mass that this has created is about 3/4 tall and about 3/8 wide (including wrap). We'll see if it works. For the first time it is squeezing the shaft and the wraps aren't unstacking and falling down and pinching between the two metal parts. The Ericson manual describes installing three bands of packing, but I don't get how that could work with these metal parts the way they are designed. I must have a different replacement nut on my rudder assembly. Anyway if it works it's done. Can't wait to go sailing.

Last edited: