• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Leave main halyard at mast or run back to cockpit ?

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I just installed a bigger clam cleat for the mainsheet, rated max line 1/2". Amusingly, It is still too small for my current 7/16th sheet and so, yeah, "not very secure."

I only use it when reefing and it is an admirably simple and cheap hunk of plastic. But a cam cleat is probably a better choice for the application.

Kenneth K

1985 32-3, Puget Sound
Blogs Author
I just installed a bigger clam cleat for the mainsheet, rated max line 1/2". Amusingly, It is still too small for my current 7/16th sheet and so, yeah, "not very secure."

I only use it when reefing and it is an admirably simple and cheap hunk of plastic. But a cam cleat is probably a better choice for the application.
Sounds like the exact same clam cleat I have, and the same problem with 7/16 line. But it does work.

I considered a cam cleat but worried that a winch-taught line might be difficult to work into the jaws: In most places I've used a cam cleat, the line is pulled both aftward and downward as it is worked between the jaws.

windsurferman

Lines starting from the left in my 1st pic. 1st is main halyard. 2nd is main sheet, 3rd is second reef. 4th is reefing hook. On the other side, solid red is Cunningham. White striped green is second reef. The other 3 are jib and spinnaker halyards.

I still have to step out of the cockpit to the mast to change the reefing hook but I try to do that way before I need to.

Next performance project: furling asymmetric spinnaker on folding bowsprit with all lines led aft; challenging and expensive.