• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Lewmar Blocks

Shadowfax

Member III
I recently came upon information that may be old news to some, but was unknown to me.

My '88 E34 came equipped with Lewmar Ocean 2 series blocks. Over the years, as I added halyards and other lines I needed to add blocks, which turned out not to be Lewmar because they where given to me by friends, or I picked one up along the way. Recently I saw Lewmar Ocean 2 blocks on Ebay and bought them so that all my blocks would match. When they arrived I noticed that one would swivel 360, one was stationary at 90 degrees to the sheeve and one was in line with the sheeve. Try as I might, I could not get them to move and began to believe that they where somehow defective.

I called Lewmar and asked if I was missing something and it turns out I was. There are settings that are adjustable to; in line, 45, or 90 degrees to the sheeve and 360 degrees, or swivel. Adjustment is as follows: remove the shackle, press the post into the body of the block and move the hole drilled into the post that the shackle mounts through to either in line, 45 or 90 degrees to the sheeve, release the post and reinstall the shackle. For 360 degrees, notice that there appears to be an inspection opening on one side of the block near the neck, remove the shackle press on the post and rotate the post while looking into this inspection opening until you see the head of a pin. Tap on the block and this pin will fall out and the locking feature is disabled, or swivel mode. Save the pin.

I don't know about you, but I have had these blocks on my boat for 18 years and never knew they where adjustable.

Paul
s/v Shadowfax

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
Glad you got this Paul. I'm pretty sure I was the guy on Ebay who sold you the blocks. :egrin:

FYI: I will have some more available soon. A few more singles and a fiddle.

Shadowfax

Member III
Hey Ted,

Yeah, it sounds like you. Annapolis and a E38. I left a note I was on the Bay, so if you got that, it was me. Thanks again.

Paul

jkm

Member III
Ted

If they're self tailing a posting here would help. I've been looking to add a few units

John

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
Self tailing blocks? That would be interesting... Sorry these are Lewmar Ocean 2 model blocks. For info take a loof here.
http://en.lewmar.com/products/Produ...ub4=&sub5=&template_id=6&part_number=19921700

I am replacing these with Lewmar Racing 80mm on the main sheet blocks. See the threas e-38 mainsheet. I am also replacing these with Lewmar Racing 60mm High Load blocks where the mast base blocks are. Taking my time as I find the new blocks on Ebay. So far I just need one more 80mm single, one 80mm triple w/becket, and a few of the 60's to finish. I guess I will have at least 5 more of the Ocean 2 singles for sale soon. I forget what they did on Ebay. Shadowfax can probably remember...