• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Lewmar hatches no longer stand up

Brookelise

Member II
The Lewmar hatches on our 1989 E34 no longer stay open at a 45 or 90 degree angle. Is there an easy way to fix this? Can the hinge tension be adjusted?

Thanks,

Brooke

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
When the Roll Stop stops....

My '88 boat came with Lewmar "roll stop" hatches. Mine had long before ceased to stay up with their friction "roll stop" hinge system. I found that I could order a new hinge pin kit, and that this involved driving out the old pins with a punch and a 3# hammer. I tried... and decided that the hinge assembly might never be the same... even if I succeeded.
:rolleyes:
Since our Lewmar size 70 forward hatch came to us with a warped frame, it was replaced with a current Lewmar model (which uses a different hinge friction system that is adjustable). Later I replaced the vent hatch (size 20) with a new one due to crazing of the lens and the same hinge problem you are having.

I have seen the same hinge failure on many many other makes of 80's boats with the same Lewmar hatches. Not one of their prouder engineering moments.... :(

Good luck with the replacement hinge kit, and perhaps I was just too much of a klutze to make it work.

Loren in PDX
1988 Olson 34

Brookelise

Member II
Rollstop hatches

That's what we have, Loren, the Rollstop hatches. They roll but they don't stop. I guess we'll have to order the new hinge pin kit. Once we start attempting to remove the pin by hammering on it, I'll bet we reach the same conclusion you did.

Thanks for your help.

-- Brooke :esad:

Ray Rhode

Member III
Brooke,

I have had to replace my hinges. The Lewmar part number is 361004999 and the description is "SH 60 HINGE KIT SPARE". That is a kit for two hinges. It includes everything you need. I need to replace mine again and am waiting for the kit I ordered.

Ray

Tom Metzger

Sustaining Partner
I had the same problem with the forward hatch falling shut shortly after I bought Xanthus (1987 E-34) in 1996. I found that sliding a shim under the rubber blocks fixed the problem until this year when the problem is returning. I used a piece of stainless cut from a screw type hose clamp on each hinge. It wasn't easy to do, but it did last for several years. I may try a second shim when I get time.

This spring I did the shim trick on my son's boat using a thin piece of plastic.

u079721

Contributing Partner
I found the hinge kits easy to replace

I found the hinge kits on the roll stop Lewmar hatches fairly easy to replace. In 2003 I was able to order the parts from a dealer in Florida at 561-863-7444. On the E-38 the large hatch is a roll stop #70, part #19782300, while the forward hatch was a size #60, part #19782200. If your hatches don't stay up I would certainly encourage anyone to give replacing the hinge rubber insert a try.

My gripe is that these replacement hinge parts just don't last that long. In the midwest, cruising a month a year, I only get 4 to 5 seasons on the hinges before they don't really seem to hold up well. And the replacement kits are expensive! I think the large one was like $50.

Rocinante33

Contributing Partner
Hatch Hinge

On our boat the hinge mechanism gave up even before we owned her. The P.O. had a simple solution, a tradition we have continued; A small piece of teak board, abut 10"x2"x1/2" is used to prop the hatch open when in the slip or at anchor. Not elegant, but functional.

Keith
E-33
"Rocinante"
Channel Islands, CA

Richard Elliott

Member III
Lewmar Hatches

I've had good luck with the replacement hinge kits previously mentioned for the Lewmar "Oceans" series hatches on our 1989 E34.

Blue Chip

Member III
What size is the Hatch?

Brookelise said:
The Lewmar hatches on our 1989 E34 no longer stay open at a 45 or 90 degree angle. Is there an easy way to fix this? Can the hinge tension be adjusted?

Thanks,

Brooke
I oo have been fighting sagging hatches..Your experiences have helped me, but I still have one basic question. What Size...since the website for Lewmar is in metric.
BLUE CHIP is a 1990 32-200. One hatch is jst forward of the mast. Works great.
The other hatch is just forward of that, on tghe slopeing deck just over the V-berth, I believe it is 17 3/4 inches by 13 inches, measured from the inside. I was told this was probably a #30 hatch which would be part number 19784700.
Does this make sense to any of you? Apparently the hinge kit works for both a #30 and #40 according to what I can determine.
Mark May
by the Bay