• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Lewmar port handle question

Bob Robertson

Member III
Hi,

A couple of my lewmar opening ports are leaking around one of the handles. Lewmar recommends taking the handle apart and lubicating it with slicone grease. Does some one know how to remove the button (See picture) that will allow me to remove the handle?

Thanks,
Bob
Handle.jpg

Bob Robertson

Member III
Thanks Guys,

I will give that a try. I had tried using a medium sized jewelers screwdriver to pry it out, but didn't have much luck and I backed off before I damaged the plug. Some wisdom comes with age.

A knife sounds like a much better option. It provides a much wider surface and shouldn't damage the handle.

I think a new seal makes good sense. Hopefully, the proper size is easy to come by.

I bought new lenses for my ports. I think I will only need to replace about three or four of them, but I bought enough to replace all of them. Can't have too many spare parts.

Isn’t this email group is great! What a valuable and fun resource.

Thanks again,
Bob

Last edited:

jmilanette

lewmar hatch handles

I need to replace a lewmar hatch handle. Does anyone know their address or phone number? I corresponded with a distributor a year ago solve this problem and they sent me the wrong handle (wrong handle, wrong side) so I'd like to get to lewmar directly.

Shadowfax

Member III
I have taken my forever leaking Lewmar port handles apart and have a question. Is that just an O ring in the handle? Loren's page on the subject seems to say it is. Mine appears to be somewhat flat. Is it a Lewmar proprietary seal of some sort or just a plain old O ring; mine being worn flat. If it is just an O ring, does anyone know the size off hand? See Bob's exploded view to see the part I'm talking about.
Thanks

Last edited:

Bob Robertson

Member III
Hi Paul,

I replaced mine with 1/2 inch o-rings. Sorry, I don't remember the thickness, but you can fit them to the groove in the handle.

They are working great. I hand carried a handle into the marine store at my marina and sized them. They didn't have all the o-rings I needed, so I bought some more at the local hardware store.

It's interesting, my boat is an 88 and some of my ports had been leaking for a while. I assumed they needed to be rebed, but after replacing my o-rings all the leaks have stopped.
Lewmar recommends putting a little waterproof silicon grease on the o-rings. I also put a bit on the inside of the handles, where they meet the acrylic, as well.

Best of luck, and let me know how else I can be of help.
Bob

cawinter

Member III
Almost all the way...

I got tired of the whole leaking mess and some bad cracking on the sunny-side ports. My P.O. must have either never moved the boat out of the slip or kept her blocked.

I called Select Platics and spoke to a very helpful person. Got all new lenses, o-rings and gasket material for the rims. Took everything off (I used a screw and destructively removed the caps by screwing into them. Who says a polished Phillips-head is not as decorative as a black cap?):) Cleaned all the plastic parts w/ vinegar solution, inserted new o-rings w/ light coating of ptfe grease and recut all gaskets for the portlights. GLued the ends together with some 3M (Scottweld?) stuff and put them back into the portlights with a bead of silicone in the cleaned-out slot. Voila!

I also covered the expansion joints of the portlights (outside) with a black butyyl-rubber type (Sikaflex?) gunk. Just put a seam over the drying and shrinking plastic in there. Done!

Result: With the exception of one portlight all are now tight as evidenced in the recent NorthEast biblical rainstorms. I suppose the one that is slightly weeping is either sloppy work :esad: or a bigger issue. Todate I have NOT rebedded the frames. Many of the screws are frozen into the outside frames and would have to be cut... Not my thing right now.

Hope this helps someone with a case of the dribbles...

TRMN8R

Member II
Boy, is this thread timely. I JUST took mine apart over the weekend, having fought the annoying leak for the past couple years! I will probably just try to remove the O-ring this coming weekend, and re-lube it with silicone spray which I use on my truck door seals. If THAT doesn't work, at least this thread has provided some other avenues of help. Many thanks!

Bob Robertson

Member III
Hi Guys,

I removed the black caps using a small flat jeweler's screw driver. I was impressed with how hard the black caps and the handles were. They didn't mark at all. I ordered new acrylic lenses through the marine store at my marina, but I used the pricing defender provided as a meet or beat price and they beat it without a problem.

Enjoy,
Bob

Chris A.

Member III
o-rings

O-rings are Lewmar 360002-013 at $0.52 each. I just ordered some from Florida Rigging and Hydraulics, Inc.

They cross reference a McMaster number: 9452K57

Dimensions are 0.426" ID x 0.566" OD x .070" thick

They do need some silicone grease when installed or the handles will not operate smoothly.

Cheers,