• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Lewmar Superhatches - Free

Nick J

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
I replaced the original hatches on my 1984 35-3, so the old ones are available to a good home free of charge. I think they are Lewmar superhatchs size 60. They need the lenses and a few pieces replaced including the backing nuts for the hinge. One of the more stressful parts of replacing the hatch was picking a weather window where I didn't have to make a temporary cover for the opening while I did the work. Hopefully this can provide someone the opportunity to rebuild these and swap them out without having to build a cover or just replace some older broken hatches at a low cost. I prefer to give it away to someone local to avoid shipping, but I'm sure I can work something out if anyone would like them shipped.

20211017_124931.jpg20211017_124939.jpg
20211017_124943.jpg

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Select Plastics/Hatchmasters in Connecticut has many parts for old Superhatches. I've rebuilt mine on two boats and the result is good.

If you take these crazed hatch lenses to a local plastics shop, they can easily make exact copies in acrylic. Usually the price is much less than shipping from (or to and from) Connecticut.

Nick J

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
I'd like to keep the hatches together. Once I start parting them out, the other parts will be more difficult to find homes for. It would be great to keep these out of a land fill. Like Christian mentioned, you should be able to source handles through hatchmasters. I haven't looked close enough, but you might be able to replace with the modern handle. Aside from not leaking anymore, the new handles have been the best part because you can open them from above.

Steve Jerromes

I replaced the original hatches on my 1984 35-3, so the old ones are available to a good home free of charge. I think they are Lewmar superhatchs size 60. They need the lenses and a few pieces replaced including the backing nuts for the hinge. One of the more stressful parts of replacing the hatch was picking a weather window where I didn't have to make a temporary cover for the opening while I did the work. Hopefully this can provide someone the opportunity to rebuild these and swap them out without having to build a cover or just replace some older broken hatches at a low cost. I prefer to give it away to someone local to avoid shipping, but I'm sure I can work something out if anyone would like them shipped.

View attachment 40624View attachment 40625
View attachment 40626
Hello,
I know this is an old thread, but did your old hatch have a curved 'catch' for the latch that goes in the corner of the frame? I am looking for two that are missing on my '86 E28 forward hatch. Lewmar doesn't supply them anymore. Cheers, Steve