• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Line drawing artwork for Tee shirt?

peaman

Sustaining Member
Several years back, I worked on various yachts for pay, and often had, as standard issue day-work attire, a tee shirt which typically had imagery on front and/or rear showing the name and profile of the vessel. As a current (proud) owner of an Ericson yacht, I would like to have such attire for my own "crew".

I wonder where I could find, or commission, artwork showing a line profile of an Ericson 32-3 shoal-draft suitable for a screen printer to use for production of shirts?

I have an original full-color brochure for the 32-3, but the shoal-draft profile is indicated only as a very lightly dashed line superimposed over the full-draft profile. And that's on a cut-away view, versus a profile view, which shows way too much detail for a back-of-tee-shirt representation.

I would very much like to have shirts which have an accurate shoal-draft profile on the rear, with yacht name and etc on the front, but am unsure how to address the matter of the profile? Any ideas (or proposals...)?

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
Copy the drawing from sailboatdata.com
Paste into any multi-layer drawing program
Add and subtract features as desired
Export to vendor

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
Option 2.
There are any number of logo design services advertised on google. Your file is sent to a starving art student, they return several variations for your review, and the web site pockets some of the cash.

I tried one once. They totally ignored my instructions and sent me a selection of clip art like the sort of thing that used to come free with drawing programs. I asked for my money back and got it. Found that I could come close to what I wanted just by tracing shapes as described above.

Option 3. Post an ad for what you want on Craigslist under "gigs."

Shankara

Member II
My friend Neil does this for a living. Good work. If you sent him a clean line drawing like the one above he can convert it to a vector graphic, then turn that into custom embroidery for hats or clothes, and also screen printing for shirts or jackets or canvass. He’s also got a vinyl cutter for things like boat letters or Ericson logos. nltdesigns.com

Sean Engle

Your Friendly Administrator
Administrator
Founder
You could easily take a line drawing like this into Illustrator and trace it. Then send the file over to the printer/shirt people and they'll lay it out to to be screen printed onto shirts. Fair warning though, if you're talking about only a few, they won't be cheap!

peaman

Sustaining Member
In answer to my query for line art suitable for production on a tee shirt, showing the full profile of a shoal-draft Ericson 32-3, I present the attached, free to use for any purpose. Moderator, feel free to post the graphic in the resources section if deemed suitable.

It was done in Autocad, but is in no way an engineering drawing, since it was a "trace" of the factory drawing available in the resource section. If you can make use of the Autocad dwg or dxf file for higher purposes, and are willing to provide resultant materials back to this site for use by others, I will promptly provide my own files for that purpose.

Attachments

• E32-3_profile.pdf
    15.1 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:

gabriel

Live free or die hard
For small runs heat transfers sometimes makes more sense than silkscreening to avoid the setup cost.

Last edited:

Tin Kicker

Sustaining Member
In answer to my query for line art suitable for production on a tee shirt, showing the full profile of a shoal-draft Ericson 32-3, I present the attached, free to use for any purpose. Moderator, feel free to post the graphic in the resources section if deemed suitable.

It was done in Autocad, but is in no way an engineering drawing, since it was a "trace" of the factory drawing available in the resource section. If you can make use of the Autocad dwg or dxf file for higher purposes, and are willing to provide resultant materials back to this site for use by others, I will promptly provide my own files for that purpose.
Thanks!

Boat crew shirts are pretty common but most people aren't aware of how close the cost is these days for embroidered vs silk screen, once the set-up fee ($25-$50) is paid. It's pretty standard to use embroidery for business shirts which are button and golf style, and silk screen for the heavy sweaters and T-shirts since they have more stretch.

Seems to me that since paying the art fee, the actual cost to add my design to a shirt is something like $15-20 for either because I'm always ordering just 2 or 3 at a time.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
One small caveat.
Over the years I have accumulated T-shirts from running, summer festivals ( a few), flying related, and boating. One thing that they have in common is the vinyl starting to crack and flake off after XX number of washings.
I kind of prefer the ones with embroidered logo's because the design lasts longer. Also, watch out for cheaper "thinner" material that develops holes quickly. The cheaper ones also shrink quickly when laundered, and their sizing does not run true.

You'd be amazed at how many different labeled sizes (and lengths) all masquerade as "XL".... :(

Also, and it just occurred to me.... a powder blue T shirt with Sean's site logo embroidered on it would be amazing. Small logo on the "pocket " location and large one on the back?
Lots of possibilities.......
(Old saying is that you should never trust version 1 of anything, so at my age Version 5 should be highly dedsirable !)

Attachments

• EY site logo.jpeg
    EY site logo.jpeg
    17.9 KB · Views: 17
Last edited: