• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Liner for galley storage

shard7

1974 E27 'Bluey'
Hi Everyone!

We just purchased a 1974 E27 and we're excited to be part of this community! This is our first boat, so please excuse the dumb questions. :)
1651033092366.png

The storage area between the galley and the hull had some old carpet-like material lining it, and I'd like to replace it before putting our things in there. There is plywood on the bottom, and the back is fiberglass (inside of the hull, I believe).

1651033008447.png
I'm wondering if folks have any recommendations for a material to re-line it. Something soft and non-slip is obviously good, but was hoping to find something that's easier to clean than the carpet-like material that was originally in there.

Would a sheet of EVA foam be okay to use here? Seems to fit the bill, but I'm curious if that might cause problems with moisture building up behind it. Maybe EVA on the plywood base, and the breathable carpet-stuff on the back?

Thanks for your thoughts!
Mark

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
We have a similar, though not identical area, on our boat. We have had good service from the rolls of rubberized non-slip shelf liner available at many department stores. It comes in several colours and at least two thicknesses, and we prefer the thicker one to better cushion glasses, spices, etc.
We empty those cupboards about every three months, lift out the shelf liner, ensure its clean before replacing, to avoid any dampness, mould, etc.
Frank

Last edited:

Gaviate

Member III
Congratulations, and welcome, you're gonna love it here!! Nice looking boat!
I'm with Frank, the rubberized stuff I'm using is sorta ventilated by design, not a solid mat. Unless you need insulation, I would just paint the back (hull), then only worry about cleaning under liner on shelf (bottom).
Cheers,

shard7

1974 E27 'Bluey'
Thank you for the suggestions! I like the idea of painting the back black and using shelf liner on the bottom (maybe with it overlapping the back a couple of inches).

markvone

Sustaining Member
It's usually so dark down in the little nooks and cubies of the boat that I would suggest that you paint the back white or another light color. I'd get the mat in a light color too if I could. It will let you see items possibly hidden in the dark and on the dark surface. It will also show dirt or mold which you will want to keep at bay. Might there be a snazzy light color (mint green, baby blue, yellow) that you favor that gives that space a little style pop? Just a thought.

Mark

shard7

1974 E27 'Bluey'
Yes indeed, I was also pondering a lighter color for those reasons. I may go with white when I eventually redo the cubies in the v-berth.

Mark F

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
To follow up on Mark's comment on light colors - I added LED light strips in those two shelve areas. It makes a huge difference especially since I added fronts to those shelves. Welcome!

bigd14

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
On my E27 I had some vinyl fabric leftover from another project which cut to fit and I glued into place with some leftover liquid nails. It cleaned up easily and was light and bright. And cheap!

shard7

1974 E27 'Bluey'
To follow up on Mark's comment on light colors - I added LED light strips in those two shelve areas. It makes a huge difference especially since I added fronts to those shelves. Welcome!
I have soooo many ideas like that swirling in my head! But for now I must stay focused on just getting the boat 'good enough' for summer... :)

kapnkd

kapnkd
Hi Everyone!

We just purchased a 1974 E27 and we're excited to be part of this community! This is our first boat, so please excuse the dumb questions. :)
View attachment 42640

The storage area between the galley and the hull had some old carpet-like material lining it, and I'd like to replace it before putting our things in there. There is plywood on the bottom, and the back is fiberglass (inside of the hull, I believe).

View attachment 42639
I'm wondering if folks have any recommendations for a material to re-line it. Something soft and non-slip is obviously good, but was hoping to find something that's easier to clean than the carpet-like material that was originally in there.

Would a sheet of EVA foam be okay to use here? Seems to fit the bill, but I'm curious if that might cause problems with moisture building up behind it. Maybe EVA on the plywood base, and the breathable carpet-stuff on the back?

Thanks for your thoughts!
Mark
Our ‘73 E-32 had foam padded vinyl on the sides of the V-berths, rear berth and shelving back (hull side) that disintegrated and sagged over the years. We replaced it with a soft rubber backed woven vinyl that looks like Teak & Holly. It is a product primarily used as pontoon boat flooring.

We found factory seconds (unnoticeable flaws) on eBay for a really good price from a company close to ATL, GA. at the time. …There was also enough left in our order for our shelving and more.

68175E2D-E45E-4C7C-BDF3-F33456E677CE.jpegF4FD794A-8A36-4894-B46A-C8D380E333BE.jpeg8C4EB84C-9BCC-4D24-B5B4-0D004368CD52.jpeg

For the actual shelving, we too have found the non-skid open woven material works the best and is readily available everywhere in home goods at good prices.

BTW! …Welcome - your boat is very impressive and we look forward to more of your updating posts!