• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

location for electric pod conversion (E35-2)

steven

Sustaining Member
Now that electric pods are available I'm looking into a conversion. e.g., the Torqueedo TorqLink 6.0 FP,

Where to put the pod ?

The E35-2 comes in two engine configurations:
1) the prop just fwd of the rudder; 2) the prop just behind the keel.
I have the fwd of the rudder model. No experience with the behind the keel.

Where would be the best place to put it ?

--Steve

David Vaughn

Member II
Blogs Author
We did this on our Beneteau 235, using the ePropulsion Pod 3.0 Evo. We mounted it about a third of the way between the back of the keel and the rudder.
As we were researching, I remember someone (a J109 owner) commenting on Sailing Anarchy that his saildrive was about 40% of the distance between the keel and the rudder. We couldn't go quite that far back, but I'm very happy with the performance we have gotten with the Pod.

Look forward to hearing about your progress - when it comes time for engine replacement on our E31, we will most likely go with an electric pod.

Mark F

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Hi Steve,
Interesting project. I guess you have to build a flat area on the hull to mount it? Why are you going with a pod rather than an inboard? I remember when I was first thinking about EP (2004) for my previous boat 1968 E23 (Coaster, no inboard) I looked at a pod that was available at the time, I forget what the company was but I don't think they are around anymore. They had issues with leaking seals. Torqeedo should be a good company to produce a pod since their outboards are basically pods hung off of the transom and they have built many of them! Does the Torqeedo have regen capabilities?

Mark F

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Hi David,
I guess the ePropulsion does regen? I know one difference between the Torqeedo and ePropulsion outboard units is that the ePropulsion motors can do regen.

Mark F

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Someone posted on the Electricseas.org website recently about his pod install on a Cornish Crabber 30. He used two 6kw ePropulsion pods.

Attachments

• cornish crabber pod.jpg
    cornish crabber pod.jpg
    425.1 KB · Views: 11

David Vaughn

Member II
Blogs Author
Hi David,
I guess the ePropulsion does regen? I know one difference between the Torqeedo and ePropulsion outboard units is that the ePropulsion motors can do regen.
Yes. ePropulsion does regen and the amount of power you get back depends on boat speed.
The Pod 3 doesn't start making serious power until you're over 6kn which is hull speed on our Beneteau 235. The Pod 6 claims to make about 500w at just over 7kn, so for a larger boat you should have some decent power gains if you're sailing for several hours.
ePropulsion had announced a new 10kW Pod (claiming 25-30hp equivalent) at the Southhampton Boat Show, but pricing and availability hasn't been announced yet.

Mark F

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Wow 500w, that's quite a bit! With my "upgraded" Sevcon MiliPak to Gen 4 controller the best I've seen is 150ish watts and that is at about 6-7knts. On the old MiliPak the best I saw at those speeds was 250ish watts. I know it's a software setting but I haven't gotten around to having it set differently.