• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Longest Original Ericson Owner...

kapnkd

kapnkd
MAKE SURE YOU COPYWRITE THE PICS!!!!! THEY ARE VALUABLE !

Good thoughts but these were done so very long ago and simply hang in my home. I’m not too worried about it plus these are posted low res images which would be difficult to turn into quality prints for sale.

oldfauser

Member III
back to the original topic, (but i really like your watercolors!), I actually knew the original owner of the 32-2 for sale in Monroe MI. I grew up in Toledo and had three friends whose parents had 32-2's in the early 70's. Great boats to race against and on!

:egrin:

kapnkd

kapnkd
back to the original topic, (but i really like your watercolors!), I actually knew the original owner of the 32-2 for sale in Monroe MI. I grew up in Toledo and had three friends whose parents had 32-2's in the early 70's. Great boats to race against and on!

:egrin:

Wow!! ...Small world!!!

We used to visit Monroe Boat Club with both our club’s “Port to Port” annual race (Ford Yacht Club).

Each year I had anxiously hoped to meet and speak with him but had no luck. Also, apparently he never entered any of our clubs co-sponsored races either.

I’m not sure if his (now sold) E-32 is still at the Monroe Club or not...we haven’t been back since our long term refitting efforts and now because of the virus restrictions. ...I’d still love to meet him as well as the new owner(s).

The Monroe Boat Club is a great sailing destination with excellent facilities and a welcoming and very friendly membership.

You’re right, it IS a great boat in so many ways be it cruising or racing! We actually set and held the 1999 TRANS ERIE PHRF class record for 9 years! (Not bad at all for a ‘73 built boat with all the comfort amenities - including a built in AC unit!!)

oldfauser

Member III
Wow!! ...Small world!!!

We used to visit Monroe Boat Club with both our club’s “Port to Port” annual race (Ford Yacht Club).

Each year I had anxiously hoped to meet and speak with him but had no luck. Also, apparently he never entered any of our clubs co-sponsored races either.

I’m not sure if his (now sold) E-32 is still at the Monroe Club or not...we haven’t been back since our long term refitting efforts and now because of the virus restrictions. ...I’d still love to meet him as well as the new owner(s).

The Monroe Boat Club is a great sailing destination with excellent facilities and a welcoming and very friendly membership.

You’re right, it IS a great boat in so many ways be it cruising or racing! We actually set and held the 1999 TRANS ERIE PHRF class record for 9 years! (Not bad at all for a ‘73 built boat with all the comfort amenities - including a built in AC unit!!)
I was a member of North Cape for years... We had a C&C 30, rated about the same, fun times!

kapnkd

kapnkd
I was a member of North Cape for years... We had a C&C 30, rated about the same, fun times!

Yep!!!

Another GREAT club!!! ...Been there several times as well!! Good friend keeps or kept his boats there. His first one was “Tabasco” with a bright red hull and the sauce logo name. He later bought a beautiful 40 something C&C (I think) and called it “Rapid Rabbit” as his personal (affectionate) nickname at work was “Ricochet Rabbit” since he was a quick thinker and man of action.

Wet Willy

Checking in as someone else who “bought, loved and owned an Ericson for a long time…”

Our adventure began in May 1977, when Valkyrie was purchased new from Sail Craft of Bay Head NJ, an Ericson dealer. She was an insane purchase for a 30 year old, yet she has changed and enriched my life in ways that I’m sure members of this site will totally understand.

Valky’s been based in Forked River NJ since ‘78, sailing Barnegat Bay/Toms River, and cruising the Jersey coast from Manasquan to Cape May. With only two exceptions, due to work-related international travel, she has sailed every summer. She rarely daysails…when she leaves her slip it’s for at least one night at anchor. So far this season, she’s overnighted at Berkley Point, Cocktail Cove (Beachwood-Toms River), Conklin Island, Barnegat Light, and Harvey Cedars (a three-day beach blast in company with another boat!!). Heading back to Barnegat Light next week for a lighthouse visit, a stroll through Viking Village, and at least one dinner at Kubel’s.

Over the years, a large part of the joy of ownership is responsibility for Valky’s maintenance. With only a couple exceptions over the years, I’ve kept this all to myself, along with some special projects, like replacing her gates valves with Groco bronze seacocks and thru-hulls (brutal), and her teak and ash table, designed and built by the skipper (with a little help from H&L Woodwork. I really miss those guys!!). I’ll be coming out of the water the last week of September, to renew her nonskid areas with KiwiGrip.

I’m including a couple photos below, as proof none of us are getting older…we’re getting better!! Let’s hear from some other long-timers…

IMG_5727.jpg

IMG_5817.jpeg
IMG_5815.jpeg

kapnkd

kapnkd
Checking in as someone else who “bought, loved and owned an Ericson for a long time…”

Our adventure began in May 1977, when Valkyrie was purchased new from Sail Craft of Bay Head NJ, an Ericson dealer. She was an insane purchase for a 30 year old, yet she has changed and enriched my life in ways that I’m sure members of this site will totally understand.

Valky’s been based in Forked River NJ since ‘78, sailing Barnegat Bay/Toms River, and cruising the Jersey coast from Manasquan to Cape May. With only two exceptions, due to work-related international travel, she has sailed every summer. She rarely daysails…when she leaves her slip it’s for at least one night at anchor. So far this season, she’s overnighted at Berkley Point, Cocktail Cove (Beachwood-Toms River), Conklin Island, Barnegat Light, and Harvey Cedars (a three-day beach blast in company with another boat!!). Heading back to Barnegat Light next week for a lighthouse visit, a stroll through Viking Village, and at least one dinner at Kubel’s.

Over the years, a large part of the joy of ownership is responsibility for Valky’s maintenance. With only a couple exceptions over the years, I’ve kept this all to myself, along with some special projects, like replacing her gates valves with Groco bronze seacocks and thru-hulls (brutal), and her teak and ash table, designed and built by the skipper (with a little help from H&L Woodwork. I really miss those guys!!). I’ll be coming out of the water the last week of September, to renew her nonskid areas with KiwiGrip.

I’m including a couple photos below, as proof none of us are getting older…we’re getting better!! Let’s hear from some other long-timers…

View attachment 35499

View attachment 35500
View attachment 35501

Great to meet you! Your Ericson is beautiful and still looking to be in pristine/Bristol condition with original Teak hatches and all!!
KUDOS!!

We replaced ours years back due to the frustration of continuous leaking at the corners.

WOW! ...You and I were about the same ages when our boat loves and purchase began.

I was tempted a couple times to move up in size but just couldn’t justify the costs or thought of selling what had easily become an integral family member for us. Our son also grew up on our boat, now knows her as good as (or better than) me with the same passion and love for her. With our recent total refit and upgrades, she WILL “CaryOn” for a very long time to come.

Obviously, by your photos, you and I(we) are on the same page of continued ownership.

My wife and I now care for her 97 year old WWII Veteran dad 24/7 so we barely get in a few hour day sail with the help of my son’s “babysitting” getaway times. I/we long for the cruising we did - but are happy for the brief and infrequent water breaks we DO get.

PLEASE...Share more stories with us all!

kapnkd

kapnkd
After all the years of work and efforts on our “Never Ending Project” we finally were able to sail again this summer (as stated in other posts).

Due to the fact we now care for my wife’s 97 year old dad 24/7 - we sadly only got out for a couple hours twice this whole season as he cannot be left alone anymore.

...At least my son and his wife were able to get out and use the boat and had a couple photos taken of them.

A34B1A37-8042-42D3-AC0C-127EC033E912.jpeg88DDBF94-456E-4AB4-90C4-1E65E4DD1E13.jpeg

And one they took of just the chute headed back on a cool fall day with brisk winds. (The main stayed covered and they only used the headsail going out.)
12DFE2A6-6B1C-478B-8703-30AE742022F1.jpeg