• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Looking at an E41

Sean Engle

Your Friendly Administrator
Administrator
Founder
Thanks Sean. Yes me too. It could have been really bad indeed. I should have done what Mike is doing to his before doing anything else with the boat. I realize now this is a critical path item in the maintenance and restoration of these beautiful boats.
Yeah, it's interesting. I tell people getting on the boat to be careful, what to watch out for, etc. They have no idea that those sails have thousands of pounds (?) of pressure in them and can seriously injure them. In SF (late 80s) on a Farallon Clipper in a race I was in once, the owner's daughter was not paying attention to what she was doing in dropping the chute and the pole caught the guy up on the foredeck in the face - sent him into the lifelines - nearly overboard.

It's not a game. I've never experienced a rig failure and never hope to.

//sse

E-41

More photos
This looks amazing! I wish I could find someone willing to help me repair my boat this way. Unfortunately I don't have the time nor the expertise to do this work. I'm starting a "campaign" to see if I can find a competent shop that can do this repair. Fingers crossed.

Mike Brockman

Ericson 41
Mike, those are great reference pics. Do you have a breakdown on expenses for that project. How much was "did it myself" and how much outsourced? Vendors, trades, suppliers you like. I worked for Pocock Racing Shells until I blew out my rotator cuff moving an 8 man shell : ( .
I was tasked with repairing and cleaning up used shells turned in for credit on new purchases. There were no records on how boats built by others were put together so one of my pet projects was documenting what I found when pulling parts and matching fasteners. Nothing like the upgrade you've done but it gives me a keen appreciation of documenting and sharing. Thank you for your efforts and willingness to share. I expect to do the same.
The cost for the 6 chainplates plus the backstay chainplate was $1,700, I bought 5 yards of 1708 glass I think it was $50 or $60 and I still have I think enough to do the starboard side. I buy the 5 gal epoxy resin and 1 gal hardener, I am guesstamating I might have used $50 worth of it for one side.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I have had good experiences over the years talking to repair yards about who they trust to sub out their specialty work to, like SS fabrication.

Johneric

The cost for the 6 chainplates plus the backstay chainplate was $1,700, I bought 5 yards of 1708 glass I think it was $50 or $60 and I still have I think enough to do the starboard side. I buy the 5 gal epoxy resin and 1 gal hardener, I am guesstamating I might have used $50 worth of it for one side.
Great breakdown. Not as bad as I thought. Of course you have a bunch of sweat equity in it. Well done.

Johneric

Did you use the old chainplates for patterns? Are the six matched ?

Mike Brockman

Ericson 41
Did you use the old chainplates for patterns? Are the six matched ?
The forward and aft chainplates are the same the middle chainplate that holds the upper and lowers were different and the backstay chainplate was different. i picked the best of each and took them to the machine shop that a friend that does a lot of sailboat stuff had recommended. I also ended up replacing the main bulkhead with marine plywood which was around $300. Originally I had planned to reuse original bulkhead but there was some delamination around the chainplate and the mast step from water leakage. I will also have to laminate some teak veneer which is around $200

Last edited:

E-41

These are great posts. Thanks! My biggest hurdle is to find someone willing to do the work! I've spoken to at least three supposedly reputable riggers/full service shops in my area, and I can't get them to even give me a quote for the work! And my boat is in one of the largest sailing capitals in the US - Annapolis. I just don't get it. They all want to work on new million dollar yachts and don't really care to do repairs on old Ericsons, that's my conclusion. I can do a lot of the cosmetic work myself... I just need someone qualified and experienced to do the structural glass work properly, so I don't have another failure under sail.

Mike Brockman

Ericson 41
These are great posts. Thanks! My biggest hurdle is to find someone willing to do the work! I've spoken to at least three supposedly reputable riggers/full service shops in my area, and I can't get them to even give me a quote for the work! And my boat is in one of the largest sailing capitals in the US - Annapolis. I just don't get it. They all want to work on new million dollar yachts and don't really care to do repairs on old Ericsons, that's my conclusion. I can do a lot of the cosmetic work myself... I just need someone qualified and experienced to do the structural glass work properly, so I don't have another failure under sail.
The problem is when you start getting into a boat of this age you have no idea of what a can of worms you can be opening up. I have been working on sailboats for over 30 years and I have been surprised at how my E41 project has expanded. I am self employed (not in the boating industry) but I would have no idea how to give a estimate or price this job.

Mike Brockman

Ericson 41
One thing you might consider is to disassemble all the teak trim and cabinetry so that you are down to the bare fiberglass hull. Then have them just cut out and re-glass the new chainplates in. You or they will need to cut out 3 inches on both the main bulkhead on the port side and cabinet on the starboard side so you have enough room to get the old chainplates out and the new ones in.

Johneric

The problem is when you start getting into a boat of this age you have no idea of what a can of worms you can be opening up. I have been working on sailboats for over 30 years and I have been surprised at how my E41 project has expanded. I am self employed (not in the boating industry) but I would have no idea how to give a estimate or price this job.

One thing you might consider is to disassemble all the teak trim and cabinetry so that you are down to the bare fiberglass hull. Then have them just cut out and re-glass the new chainplates in. You or they will need to cut out 3 inches on both the main bulkhead on the port side and cabinet on the starboard side so you have enough room to get the old chainplates out and the new ones in.
Mike, any way to do the work without taking down the mast? Any way to temporarily secure the stays? Maybe one side at a time?

Mike Brockman

Ericson 41
Mike, any way to do the work without taking down the mast? Any way to temporarily secure the stays? Maybe one side at a time?
I think that would be possible. Do one at at time do one at a time, if you could run a halyard to take up some of the stress of the chainplate that you are replacing. I would give the epoxy a week or so to completely set up before retensioning and moving on to the next one.

goldenstate

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
I think that would be possible. Do one at at time do one at a time, if you could run a halyard to take up some of the stress of the chainplate that you are replacing. I would give the epoxy a week or so to completely set up before retensioning and moving on to the next one.
Mike - Super impressive repair work here. As Sean said, it would be awesome if you wrote up a blog post or two. Kudos on your job.

Mike Brockman

Ericson 41
Mike - Super impressive repair work here. As Sean said, it would be awesome if you wrote up a blog post or two. Kudos on your job.
I have done a youtube channel on a dinghy build that I did and it was fun but way too time consuming. I do think about it and have done lots of video and photos on the E41 but until I retire probably not going to happen.