• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Looking at Ericson 32-2 and would like advice on common issues

Traveler7

Member II
Hi NW Sailors!

I will be touring an 1975 Ericson 32-2 and would appreciate any advice about inspecting it.

Thank you very much!

Traveler7

Member II
It's on Facebook Marketplace.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
At a glance it looks like a candidate. Diesel, if true. The sails appear to be from a different boat, bought used. The anchor capstan is a plus, if it works. Sounds like owned by a sailing family, meaning it got used and cared for, which is always good.

Others will know the specifics of the 32-2, just bear in mind that 1975 was a while ago, and ownership will mean continual attention.

Traveler7

Member II
Owner says he designed the main himself and had it made to spec so maybe why it has the WY on it instead of Ericson badge. Owner is a Offshore 204 instructor and has sailed her offshore frequently.

Kenneth K

1985 32-3, Puget Sound
Blogs Author
Looks like the starboard side teak grab rail is missing from the cabin top. That in itself wouldn't be a big deal if the deck and core were sealed properly after removal. However, the apparent black duct tape covering the mounting holes might indicate a shoddy state of repair/upkeep and is something I would look into more carefully. Wet wood coring in the deck/cabin top is a PITA to repair, although, not as bad on a boat like this with a painted fiberglass cabin ceiling (vs the cloth headliner on later Ericsons).

Also, unusual placement for a cowl vent up on the bow, in front of the windlass (7th photo). How do you haul in the anchor rode with a cowl in the way? I'd guess that's not likely a factory setup. Also, more black duct tape patches up near the bow.

Last edited:

Traveler7

Member II
Yep, that is a valid concern! Thank you! Owner says he has paint for the deck, but the PNW weather has not allowed him to do it...

kapnkd

kapnkd
Thanks, maybe something to do with the big manual windlass and chain recovery?
When you look at the boat, be sure to inspect the anchor locker where cleats are attached plus around the cutout for that cowl vent. (Our ‘73 originally didn’t even have backing plates.)

Take an ice pick or something similar to poke into the decking areas for any soft spots. (During our refitting, we found several soft spots up there - ground them out, refilled them with hard foam sheeting pieces and then glassed over them.)

Rosco

Exploring the BC Coast E35-2, Yanmar 3GM30
I know the boat. I have oil samples for the engine. The engine is great. Jonah is the real deal. Very honest seller and knows his stuff. True offshore sailer and ex Military. Honest and strait shooter. The missing railing is below in the quarter berth. The basics are there. Needs a deck paint job. The head is good as the plumbing is new but cosmetically needs work. Blank canvas as stove is shot and no heat. The bottom is completely new. Was on the hard for months and was scraped and epoxied then splashed. Standing and running rigging is good except backstay.

Rosco

Exploring the BC Coast E35-2, Yanmar 3GM30
E 32-2 MerWren oil sample from December.

Attachments

• Mer wren oil.pdf
    177.9 KB · Views: 9

kapnkd

kapnkd
Sounding better with this particular posting for sure!

Cosmetics aren’t that difficult to resolve with lots of dedicated elbow grease and patience.

Clearly…Said upkeep is a never ending struggle/story of hard efforts and process with boat ownership. It reflects the owner’s own personal pride, attention to detail and respect/understanding of good seamanship traditions. …One’s credibility and abilities are clearly reflected in the appearance of your vessel.

The Ericson considered sound good, but put emotions aside as you look for serious potential problems. My guess is the hull is solid, decks may have minor but fixable issues and plumbing, electrical along with water leaks and cosmetic issues are those you need to decide on your willing to commit to time and effort to.

Totally anxious now to hear what you find and think!!! There are so many of us here on this site to support you with advice on any and all your questions, concerns and decisions.

Traveler7

Member II
Looks like the starboard side teak grab rail is missing from the cabin top. That in itself wouldn't be a big deal if the deck and core were sealed properly after removal. However, the apparent black duct tape covering the mounting holes might indicate a shoddy state of repair/upkeep and is something I would look into more carefully. Wet wood coring in the deck/cabin top is a PITA to repair, although, not as bad on a boat like this with a painted fiberglass cabin ceiling (vs the cloth headliner on later Ericsons).

Also, unusual placement for a cowl vent up on the bow, in front of the windlass (7th photo). How do you haul in the anchor rode with a cowl in the way? I'd guess that's not likely a factory setup. Also, more black duct tape patches up near the bow.
Will view the boat tomorrow, but the owner says he sealed all the teak rail holes with resin when he pulled it off. I don't know what happened to the rail though so that will be a conversation. I'm taking an ice pick for sounding and poking at the suggestion of someone here. Thanks for the advice!

Traveler7

Member II
I know the boat. I have oil samples for the engine. The engine is great. Jonah is the real deal. Very honest seller and knows his stuff. True offshore sailer and ex Military. Honest and strait shooter. The missing railing is below in the quarter berth. The basics are there. Needs a deck paint job. The head is good as the plumbing is new but cosmetically needs work. Blank canvas as stove is shot and no heat. The bottom is completely new. Was on the hard for months and was scraped and epoxied then splashed. Standing and running rigging is good except backstay.
Thank you, for this. Yes, Jonah is impressive and I am taking the boat seriously. Good to know the rail is with the boat!

Traveler7

Member II
Sounding better with this particular posting for sure!

Cosmetics aren’t that difficult to resolve with lots of dedicated elbow grease and patience.

Clearly…Said upkeep is a never ending struggle/story of hard efforts and process with boat ownership. It reflects the owner’s own personal pride, attention to detail and respect/understanding of good seamanship traditions. …One’s credibility and abilities are clearly reflected in the appearance of your vessel.

The Ericson considered sound good, but put emotions aside as you look for serious potential problems. My guess is the hull is solid, decks may have minor but fixable issues and plumbing, electrical along with water leaks and cosmetic issues are those you need to decide on your willing to commit to time and effort to.

Totally anxious now to hear what you find and think!!! There are so many of us here on this site to support you with advice on any and all your questions, concerns and decisions.
Thanks, viewing the boat tomorrow and will let everyone know!