• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Looking at Ericson 35-2...

Bandykins

Member II
We are looking at moving up from our cape dory typhoon and the E 35 has come across my radar... there is one that needs a bit of fixing up on CL... a bottom job, engine work and some other odd bits. I was just curious if it was anyone on this forum selling it from SF.

I've reached out and expressed interest but haven't been able to get the owner on the phone yet. I've also lined up a surveyor... thoughts on if I should definitely have it pulled out or should I just do a partial inspection in water knowing it needs a bottom job anyway... thoughts appreciated.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Looks well kept in the ad, but only a close up inspection will really tell the tale. I do find it curious that someone would jury rig an OB on a bracket when the ad seems to say that little is needed to get the inboard operational. A bracket-mount OB has a lot of disadvantages on any boat over about 24 feet, IMHO. Best to buy it, if it passes muster otherwise, with the thought that any price leaves enough room to replace the inboard with a new or used diesel. Repairing the A-4, would be plan B.
Also, I find the stated hours on the motor quite low, and more explanation might help clarify this.

When & if you are close to making a deal, best to find a way to check that hidden starboard chainplate and bulkhead attachment, too; I read about problems there often. Of course, like every other place anything goes into/thru the deck, totally removing and re-bedding hardware every 30 years would prevent a problem with leaking into the coring (or the interior wood) in the first place.

Great looking boat. Good luck!

Last edited:

Bandykins

Member II
Looks well kept in the ad, but only a close up inspection will really tell the tale. I do find it curious that someone would jury rig an OB on a bracket when the ad seems to say that little is needed to get the inboard operational. A bracket-mount OB has a lot of disadvantages on any boat over about 24 feet, IMHO. Best to buy it, if it passes muster otherwise, with the thought that any price leaves enough room to replace the inboard with a new or used diesel. Repairing the A-4, would be plan B.
Also, I find the stated hours on the motor quite low, and more explanation might help clarify this.

When & if you are close to making a deal, best to find a way to check that hidden starboard chainplate and bulkhead attachment, too; I read about problems there often. Of course, like every other place anything goes into/thru the deck, totally removing and re-bedding hardware every 30 years would prevent a problem with leaking into the coring (or the interior wood) in the first place.

Great looking boat. Good luck!
Thanks for your feedback. Yeah the outboard mounted on the transom is a bit unfortunate.... i guess those holes can be filled easily enough. Any thoughts hoisting it out for an inspection vs winging it in the water...

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I'd be wary. That's an old boat and as Loren says the motor ambiguity is great.

Lots of specimens out there before paying a surveyor.

Bandykins

Member II
So... went and looked at it today.

The good:
  • Very dry, no smells or signs of leaks
  • Decent compliment of sails in great shape (have just been in storage for 6+ years)
  • Solid outboard
  • All the parts to make the atomic 4 run again
  • Winches all work
  • Interior is in decent shape
  • Brand new head
The not so good:
  • Hasn't been sailed in 6+ years
  • No stove
  • Had is not yet installed
  • Needs bottom done
  • Atomic 4 has not been run in 6+ years
  • Needs new sheets and halyards
  • No anchor (chain is there)
  • Instrumentation may not function(likely just displays)
Ok. ..
Discuss :)

supersailor

Contributing Partner
Should you decide to offer, I would have a reserve of at least $15,000 for obvious and surprise repairs. Any old boat needs repairs and upgrades. The instrument package on Terra Nova was $6,000 several years ago. A lot of costs and improvements depend on how you plan to use the boat. The Atomic 4 is not a plus. The are nice smooth engines but everyone shuns gasoline engines now. A conversion to diesel would be $10,000+.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
When you buy a boat you are marrying the former owner. You live with them every job and every sail. It isn't at all like dating. Text analysis is valuable in every instance. This owner can't spell Ericson.

For sale 1977 Erickson mkII...in very good condition,.. boat shows very little wear... 2 sets of sails original in good like new condition 1 set racing also like new condition original gas atomic 4 motor has less then 100 hours.. I am second owner.. first owner worked for SF water dept.. I got boat when he passed away... There has never been a holding tank on this boat,... There is zero smell, zero mold,.. no top side leaks,.. boat is absolutely dry.. only dust in bilge,.. everything complete and very good condition... I am selling boat for less than it's value due to 3 items... Behind on morgage Force's sale, exhaust manifold never returned from service tech,.. boat do for bottom job.. no blisters... includes new condition Johnson 28 HP out board... Test sailing available on weekend.... Sean... 9k firm

Bandykins

Member II
After seeing just how many things would need to be addressed just to get it where we could take it out with a bit of confidence i think we are going to instead look at this one.

Not sure if going to a 74 loses us anything from the 77... but at least I know this one is ready to sail and has the diesel.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Might be just me, but the rudder in the pictures looks like the newer and more efficient replacement version.

Mark F

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
I agree with Loren, the rudder looks to be a modification to the "Cal" style design. That is a plus.

steven

Sustaining Member
looks to me also like an upgraded rudder.
(I have an E38 rudder - not like the one in the picture but that probably doesn't matter - and very pleased with it)
The larger (compared to original) rudder makes it easier to handle the helm in a stiff breeze.

Also looks like midships engine alternative to under-stairs engine layout. Better access.
More noise in the cabin but I think it is is a good tradeoff.
When you haul, show the picture of the underside of the hull to the travel lift operator so they can more easily keep the slings clear of the prop (which is closer to the keel than in the under-stairs engine placement).
Also, three bladed prop is a plus unless you race.

E35-2 is a really great boat. Complete pleasure to sail.

--Steve

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
It sure looks like a larger rudder. But there's something going on with the lens--probably a wide angle lens--that elongates and stretches. Note the mast angles in Picture 2..

I put the photo through a wide-angle-lens distortion "remover" but got nowhere. Maybe Bob Skalkowski, who's a photographer, can comment on whether we're seeing what we think we're seeing.

2rud .jpg...pic 01717_azpzE5hi0BR_1200x900.jpg

Last edited:

Mark F

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Not to beat the rudder issue to death but - the shape is the obvious difference for me
original E35-2;
1596843052119.png
Schumaker "Cal" design;
1596843133350.png

Martin King

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
It sure looks like a larger rudder. But there's something going on with the lens--probably a wide angle lens--that elongates and stretches. Note the mast angles in Picture 2..

I put the photo through a wide-angle-lens distortion "remover" but got nowhere. Maybe Bob Skalkowski, who's a photographer, can comment on whether we're seeing what we think we're seeing.

View attachment 35018...View attachment 35019

I'll comment since I shoot pictures for a living. What you are seeing is called keystoning in my trade. The viewpoint is elevated and the camera is tipped down, forcing the verticals to splay outward. If it's shot with a wide angle, the effect is even more pronounced. Notice the mast in the boat behind the 35. In my work (architectural photography), great pains are taken to make sure the camera is dead plumb to avoid having to fix situations in post like the above. Below the image has had some perspective correction applied.

e35_mod copy.jpg

Last edited:

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I get it now, Mark. Shape is obviously different.

And "keystoning"-- good to know about. It does make for a much larger cockpit.:)

Bandykins

Member II
from photo does not appear to have a wheel. Not necessarly a bad thing.

I'm fine with the tiller as that is what we currently have... although, I'd actually prefer to have a wheel. I'm also open to other boat suggestions I'd like to land between 31-35 and be able to handle more than tame day sails...

Bandykins

Member II
Ok.. so I'm planning to go look at the ericson 35-2 and also am looking at a ranger 33... thoughts on why I'd like the ericson more? Other than the obviously active and fun online presence! I really appreciate how welcoming and useful the replies have been