• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Looking at Ericson 35-2...

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
One of my first offshore deliveries - twice actually - was on a Ranger 29, same designer and era. Fast boat but with a minimal interior and lightly constructed. Also, while the R-33 is known for being quick, it's also known for having rudder vibration under power from the positioning of the prop in relation to the rudder.
Really, there is no comparison between those two boats. The Ericson is a larger boat with a lot more cruising and racing capabilities, IMHO.
The two companies were really building for different markets, is another way to put it.

Just another two-cent opinion, really. :)

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
The boats are really not very similar, as you'll see soon as you go aboard. I recall the Ranger 33 as being among the loveliest of the era, but cramped in cockpit and below. Your first impression will mean a lot.

In the end, actually even in the beginning, it is more about the condition of the specimen. Most old boats need a lot of work and the best boat is the one where the work was done by the current owner.

[posted exactly simultaneously. And even though the time stamps are a day apart I stand by my story]

Bandykins

Member II
I expect that the 33 is a faster sail but I'm really curious to feel how much different the cockpit and area below feel... is funny... seems the 33 has been one of the fastest in the Oakland area for evening races and that the 35 has done really well in the LA area

I'm fully expecting I'll prefer the slightly wider beam of the 35 as I plan to sail this with my family of 4 (my wife and I and two young girls +dog).

I hope it is clear and obvious from visiting both. Both have been updated to diesel and both sailed recently. Each has newer self tailing winches and similar age rigging...

I'll report back with thoughts and pictures.

1911tex

Sustaining Member
Thoughts? Only that the E35 of 1,2,or 3 vintage are the best all around ships in any fleet!

No I'm not bias....just the facts Mr. Friday!

Last edited:

Geoff W.

Makes Up For It With Enthusiasm
Blogs Author
I race casually on a Ranger 33 and own an Ericson 32-3. When we're against each other, the Ranger beats me in scratch races - they're more experienced sailors, sure, but they can definitely point higher than I can, even with their old sails.

The comparison to a 35-2 is hard to make because you'll have much more room and capacity for cruisability upgrades than on the 33. A 35-2 is going to feel much bigger than the 33, which is similarly sized to my boat. I believe my cockpit is more comfortable for my taste, but they're honestly pretty similar. The Ranger has the traveler set up aft of the skipper, which is better for singlehanding than the cabintop traveler on my Ericson.

Compared to the fit and finish inside the 32-3, I have to admit the Ranger seems much more spartan - completely cruisable, by all means, but with a more sparse galley arrangement. More fiberglass, less teak - this may be a boon or a bust depending on your perspective. I like the head more on the Ranger 33, though.

supersailor

Contributing Partner
I thought the Ranger 33's interior was a sail locker. I used to race a 33 and that's what the interior was used for. It holds lots of bags of sails. Great light air sailor! It took a bit of a beating in heavy air.

Bandykins

Member II
So... I went and checked out the E 35-2 today. Overall seems like it is in decent condition.

Pluses:
Clean top-sides
tight steering
smooth running yanmar diesel that was just serviced
force 10 3 burner with oven piped to propane
water heater
newer head (not yet piped to holding tank but a new one is included
Newer sails in good condition
ice box setup for refrigeration
standing and running rigging in great shape
everything re-beded no obvious leaks
hatches re-done
nice anchor roller added and bow pulpit moved forward a bit
electrical updated
chart plotter, radar, auto-pilot all work great

minuses:
lots of little cosmetic bits need updated (many things removed from deck when top-sides were redone and some still yet to be put back
(hinges, grab rails, re-directs to get lines to the cabin top, ignition panel, stern light, manual bilge pump, boom veng, reefing system for main sail...)
head sail has no sun protection (is hanked sail with added luff tape and now used on roller furler)
interior needs some tlc
there is parkay flooring
missing back cushions for settee
anchor chain routed to keep weight more central by going into the v-birth (could be a plus if really into racing it... but I'm not that serious)

We went out for a quick motor and threw up the head sail, I definitely love the size and like the extra beam to get forward compared to the ranger 33... I am inclined to think it is a fine deal... I just don't know if I should be hoping for nicer at the $15k price point or if this is about average or even above average...

thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Geoff W.

Makes Up For It With Enthusiasm
Blogs Author
Sounds to me like a boat that has good bones and needs some elbow grease. I think for the foot-per-dollar range you're looking at, it sounds real good to me. You could certainly do worse, and the low price means money to fix some of those cons more to your liking.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Can you post the listing? How much time you have available to work on the "minuses" is a big factor here.

Bandykins

Member II
Can you post the listing? How much time you have available to work on the "minuses" is a big factor here.
It's still the second one I posted:

I have abilities but I hope not to spend more time working than sailing... yet I also don't want to drop 30k out of the gate.

It's a have cake and eat it too situation :cool:

I am on with a solid work day every other month and little jobs each time we go out (every week at a minimum)

goldenstate

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
I have yet to see a clean, reliable, thoroughly functional Ericson that costs less than $30k.

You either pay when you purchase or you pay as you go with time, talent and treasure.

But if you can sail it around the bay, and have fun and fix it a little at a time, sounds good! At least 50%-75%? of the functionality (interior especially) on a cruising sailboat is unnecessary for a good afternoon sail.

Alan Gomes

Sustaining Partner
It's still the second one I posted:
I am on with a solid work day every other month and little jobs each time we go out (every week at a minimum)
That seems like barely enough time to keep up with a boat that's already in good shape, much less one that is a semi-fixer upper.

Bandykins

Member II
a solid work day every other month and little jobs each time we go out

That's not enough work time for this boat.
You think double that? It is definitely ready to sail but I'd do a few solid days of checks and fixing primarily sailing related items (being able to reef, securing anything that could move...)

garryh

Member III
"re-bedding hardware every 30 years would prevent a problem with leaking into the coring (or the interior wood) in the first place"
or every 10 years... Loren, not sure if that was tongue in cheek or not : )

1911tex

Sustaining Member
Bandykins: My boat looked very similar when I purchased it at about the same price a little over a year ago. What about the bottom? First thing I did was put it on the hard, new bottom, rudder work and 2 of the thru-hills replaced plus some other items done at a cost of $3k.

Since then I have put 2100 hours approx. work on her myself with help of my son..plus another approx. $6800 making it functional and comfortable. Now I can see the light at the end of the tunnel...maybe if I look hard enough!!

New $3100 Dometic turbo 16k b.t.u. central AC/heater going in next week to replace the 25 year old defunct 9K b.t.u. Taylor unit and the Dometic is 22# lighter..65# total. Good thing the original ducting, wiring, raw water cooling pump, etc. are all very serviceable. Wife and family demanded it for weekend enjoyment at the dock after sailing and overnights! Texas summers are brutal!

Eyeballs barely at water level investment wise. Nearing $33k total in her presently and she is a lifetime freshwater boat with sails in great condition! LOVE THIS ERICSON!!

Last edited: