• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Looking for an E27, E28, or E29. Have advice or a boat? (PNW, Wanted, WTB)

grarya01

Member I
After nearly 20 years of dreaming of owning a sailboat, I've actively started my search. When I was In my early 20s, I had the opportunity to spend 3 months cruising around the Puget Sound, Gulf Islands, and Desolation Sound. I was hooked after that. A few years later a good friend of mine (Captain P) embarked on a 6 month trip in his O'Day 27 to Alaska. I joined him for a month and sailed around the Kenai Peninsula, from Seward to Homer. Even more hooked. Years went by and my friend with the O'Day became a delivery captain and I got to help on a couple of deliveries up and down the west coast. Still hooked. He eventually upgraded to a Cape George Cutter and sailed it around the world with his wife. I lived vicariously through him and started sea kayaking with my partner as a way to get out on the water more and hone my navigation and weather skills (she tells me there is no way we are selling our sea kayaks when we buy a sailboat). I crewed on a couple more deliveries: La Paz to San Diego; and from Lake Erie through the Welland Canal out the St. Lawrence Seaway around Nova Scotia and down to Newport. I feel pretty fortunate to have made all these trips over the years.

A while back I told Captain P that I was starting to think about a boat of my own and he, knowing a bit about what I wanted, immediately told me to find an Ericson. The seed was planted at that point.

We finally started looking at boats last weekend. Had an opportunity to buy a Catalina 27 with a lot of upgrades at a decent price. Since I was mostly already set on an Ericson, I had sort of skipped over Catalina 27 listings in the past, but it was a good deal and I've been really wanting to get out on the water again. I looked at another Catalina 27 just for comparison. I found rusty, corroded keel bolts and a couple of owners who didn't seem to care or know much about the boat. Both tried to steer me away from getting a survey done. At their price point, I suppose it could be tempting to skip the survey, but we told ourselves no matter the price, we would always have a survey done first. The experience was a bit of a turn-off so to speak, granted these were priced at the low end of my budget.

I'm not looking to get into a major retrofit and would like to find something close to the features I already want. But I'm also totally fine doing some electrical work, cosmetic, interior, woodwork, possibly chainplates, thru-hull and seacocks, canvas work, etc. I also have a friend who works at a sail loft.

I would prefer an inboard diesel in good shape, but not opposed to an outboard. And a standard rig (I think they made a tall rig E27 right?). Mostly just something with good bones , lower hours engine, and well cared for over the years.

Above all else, we are prioritizing safety over luxury and amenities, and we are excited to get our hands a little dirty to bring the right boat into a condition that meets our cruising needs. We spend a lot of time sea kayaking in the Broken Group Islands (Barkley Sound on the west coast of Vancouver Island) and would love to take our sailboat up there or beyond after a few seasons of honing our skills together and exploring more protected inner waters first.

I messaged a bit with the owner of this boat: https://skagit.craigslist.org/boa/d/anacortes-ericson-e27-sailboat/7477721932.html but unfortunately it's a bit out of my price range at $21k. I would definitely take a look if it was within my budget.

I'm not in a huge rush, I've waited this long. I'm just trying to find the right boat. Ideally located somewhere between the Portland area and Vancouver B.C. The closer to the Seattle area the better.

I have a bit of a checklist going for things to look for with boats of the '70s and '80s vintage. I'm still working on putting a list together on things specific to the E27s right now. Chainplate locations and what to look for, thru-hull and seacock locations, etc. on the various models. I'm sure I'll find the info on this forum, but if you have any links for me to speed up this checklist creation that would be great, or even just your top things to look for.

Captain P captains a 70' sailboat right now in southern California, but he's around all summer and has made himself available for a sea trial when the time comes. I've only done a cursory search for surveyors in the area. I also know that slips are going fast this time of year. But I do have the opportunity to keep a boat in a slip in Ballard (5 minutes from my house) until September 30th. Not sure how long it will stay available though. For those you who have bought a sailboat with a diesel engine, did you always get a separate engine survey done?

Anyways, I didn't want to make this the longest wanted post ever, but maybe you know of something or someone that will help me find what I'm looking for. And if there are any proud owners out there in the Seattle or Everett area who might want to show off their Ericson, I'd be super grateful to just have a tour and poke around for an hour or so. I can provide the beer!

Cheers,

Ryan

A few photos for good measure:

https://flic.kr/p/2nmDUig
https://flic.kr/p/2nmCtfG
https://flic.kr/p/2nmBecR

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
If it surveys out as good as it reads and looks, buy it.
Nicely equipped and well kept.
At $100.+ for yard work these days, a lot of buyers do not initially understand that their cheap boat will quickly double in price within the first year. Or triple.
Better to buy a "turn key" boat.
My .02 worth.

grarya01

Member I
Thanks Loren, I appreciate the perspective and whole heartedly agree. I've seen how quickly the $$$ can start racking up with boat projects. What do they say, "take whatever you think it will cost and triple it"? I'm essentially looking for turn key maybe minus 1 or 2 easily quantifiable pieces. Like turn key but with no dodger and furler. Or turn key but needs new upholstery and canvas work. Or turn key, but needs new sails, etc. This makes it a little easier to stay within budget for the first year and then add to it over time. If I could bump my budget up I would definitely pursue the listing above. Hoping to find something though for slightly less. Otherwise I'll potentially wait another year until I can afford something more turn key. Sorry, should have hit the reply button.

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
You've got pretty good experience, and sound so keen! I would suggest looking at lots of boats, various models, before you decide on one. For example, the difference between an Ericson 29 and an Ericson 30+ is huge, in design, layout, sailing performance, yet they are only a foot apart in size. All boats require maintenance work, but if you can buy one that has been well cared for, it will make a huge difference in overall maintenance cost, time working on it vs. sailing, confidence in the boat and overall pride and happiness.
This site has lots of good info on all models of Ericsons, and very knowledgeable and helpful sailors, so ask questions when you want advice.
Frank

SV_Ariel

YOWZAH, 21K for a 27? If that's what they're going for now I'll put mine up for sale tomorrow. That seems a bit overpriced to me.

I second Franks comment. I settled on my E27 because I had looked at 10-11 boats and the Ericson just happened to be the right fit. In the end I was stuck with choosing between a Catalina 27 and my Ericson. I would have been just as happy with the Catalina but the Ericson was priced slightly better. Good luck on your search, I had a lot of fun the summer I started my search. When you see "the one" you'll know.

koltrast

My 1976 E27 is for sale up in Everett if you are looking for one local. $6000, needs a little cleanup but is a sound boat.

grarya01

Member I
My 1976 E27 is for sale up in Everett if you are looking for one local. $6000, needs a little cleanup but is a sound boat.
Thanks for the reply koltrast. I think I saw your earlier post last week. Is that the one with the Atomic 4? She looks like a nice boat. I think I'm pretty set on a diesel, but would consider an outboard. Cheers, Ryan

grarya01

Member I
Thanks for the reply koltrast. I think I saw your earlier post last week. Is that the one with the Atomic 4? She looks like a nice boat. I think I'm pretty set on a diesel, but would consider an outboard. Cheers, Ryan
If I knew more about what was involved and costs, I might consider swapping out the Atomic 4 for a diesel, but I'll admit I have no experience or knowledge to draw on regarding what's involved with that.

koltrast

yes it has the atomic 4, understand if you want a diesel. the atomic 4 is a very dependable motor, I haven't had any trouble with it ever.

ThurstonCounty

Member I
Welcome my brother! We did the same thing, yearn for 20-years and finally get the position that we can get one. We picked up a E29 on the east coast for 12K and have put a lot of elbow work into her. Almost one year in and cannot get enough of these sized boats, lots of fun and they all respond to a bit of elbow grease and cleaning up.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
sailboat with a diesel engine, did you always get a separate engine survey done?

No, not if the engine is clean and the owner is knowledgeable. Diesels are reliable and stand up even to abuse.

A boat on the hard five years, or leaking oil, or gasping dirty? Well, doubtful candidate anyhow.

But of course for a $50K boat, you want an engine survey. It's a small relative expense.

grarya01

Member I
sailboat with a diesel engine, did you always get a separate engine survey done?

No, not if the engine is clean and the owner is knowledgeable. Diesels are reliable and stand up even to abuse.

A boat on the hard five years, or leaking oil, or gasping dirty? Well, doubtful candidate anyhow.

But of course for a $50K boat, you want an engine survey. It's a small relative expense.
Thanks for your reply Christian. Wow, it's not every day you get a reply from a legend such as yourself! I have a couple of your books queued up for summer reading. Cheers, Ryan

G Kiba

Sustaining Member
I once saw 3/8" line used for lazy jacks! I asked if he was going to hoist the entire boat with them? Another criteria for line selection is to also consider the feel and flexibility. Dyneema with soft polyester covers are a joy on the hands for sheets. Not really possible to figure this out online and a good reason to go to the chandlery. You can always order online once you have the brand and name. Makes sense to buy local sometimes to support your marine providers.

LameBMX

Member II
Still on the hunt....
Should have looked at the E27 and offered less. I'm kidding, don't be like me and just go to look at a bigger boat to wrap your head an upgrade around say 2024. It doesn't work out well. But it is always good to see some boats and narrow down your compromises.

GRARYA01 If you are in the south sound area we will be going out for the 3 day weekend on our E-29 and would luv to sit and chat or talk about selling as we are currently sprucing ours up so we can upsize