• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Looking for insurance

RyPhil

With my boat almost ready for the water, I need to find insurance. My auto/home company(Farmers) won't insure anything over 26 feet, and I hard some things about boat us that made me decide to look at more options.

So, what are you using?

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I went with Boat US last year when my former company changed agents and raised their rates quite a bit.
No survey required and BoatUS accepted my "agreed upon value" for the boat.
Loren in PDX
1988 Olson 34

Last edited:

lbertran

Member III
Just Went Through This Recently...

We just bought our E35-3 and went through the insurance search. We've happily used Boat US for years but I wanted to make sure we had a policy that would easily grant riders for cruising outside our home waters of the Chesapeake Bay. After comparing policies, we decided to stick with Boat US. While they did require an initial survey, they don't require subsequent surveys at five year intervals like other policies we considered. Boat US also grants riders for US coastal waters and the Caribbean, including Turk and Caicos Islands. And the price was right.

Laura Bertran

gareth harris

Sustaining Member
I filed a claim with Safeco in September. They were the kind of people who never answered the phone, returned messages, or answered emails. They kept me waiting until December to start repairs while they figured out whether I would be keeping the boat, and did not send me the money until four months after the claim.
I.E. not recommended.
Gareth
Freyja E35 #241 1972

Joe Benedict

Member II
I'm with Allstate - along with my cars and motorcycles. They actually had a booth at Strictly Sail. Boat US was a bit expensive. I purchased the boat last year and both required a current Marine Survey, which I had done prior to purchasing anyway. Try selling yourself as a package deal and you may get a different answer.

clayton

Member III
marine insurance

I've used United Marine Underwriters since purchasing the boat several years ago. Cost is slightly less than BoatUS, with a smaller sailing use range. Haven't checked into riders for cruising outside home waters yet. Cost has risen 10-15% each year, so what started out at $570 in November 2001 this year cost $730. I phoned the company and asked why, (having never submitted a claim) and was told that it is basically a function of the boat's age. This year's increase was the biggest, and I asked if it had to do with the hurricane damages in Florida, and UMU told me no, that the underwriting company for my policy, ACE Insurance, was not heavily involved in the Florida market. I phoned several other companies looking for quotes and the brokers ALL told me that they couldn't get me a better price. BoatUS was the closest, at about $25 more. Good luck.

Clayton
'89 E32

Davis Modlin

Inactive Member
I use Safeco, In my case they have been very helpful and have responed in an expedient maner. In an incident in which my bow pulpit was damaged, they called back the same day and we had the money within a couple of weeks. I don't know why Gareth had such a bad time with them, They have been good to us. Maybe it was about the amount of money being dealt out at the time. Hurricane? Bad office? I guess that there would be good and bad for evey company out there.

Davis
E29
Holy Guacamole :egrin:

Last edited:

Joe Benedict

Member II
Florida Insurance

Just a side note - when the huricanes were pummeling Florida my house and cars got caught in a hail storm ( > $20K damages .) I asked about premium increases paricularly since Florida and the southeast were getting a lot of storms. I was told it didn't matter because Florida's insurance runs as a shared risk collective captive. (SAY WHAT?) Basically, each insurance company contributes to a Florida only pool for payments - theoretically, this doesn't effect other states. What does this have to do with RyPhil's problem? Each state may be slightly different in the way it regulates insurance and the experiences with one company in one state may not reflect experiences in another state.

valentor

Member II
I have just finished resolving a claim with Progressive and they were very helpful, fast, and thorough. The representative in Chicago was very responsive and easy to deal with. Even though he was inundated with resolving IVAN claims in Florida, he always returned my calls in less than a day. After arriving at a fair settlement, the check showed up the following week.

I would definitely recommend Progressive.

-Steve

Ray Rhode

Member III
After Ivan went through the local sailing pond the owners where I keep Journey got together to compare notes on the service we received. Progressive came in last but they finally paid off for a friend on his E27. BOAT/US was a little slow as they were swamped since they only do boats and Ivan was the last of three storms in the state. I have Allstate and they were so quick (five days from inpection to check in my hand) that I got to the head of the repair lines since I had the money and no one else had been paid off yet. The other owner with loss also had Allstate and the adjuster worked very hard to get him above "book value". A word of caution, Allstate does not offer "agreed value" coverage and you have to risk "actual cash value" coverage.

I was prepared to switch to BOAT/US this year ( I work part time for West/BOAT/US and we get a discount). After the way I was treated, both on the original clain and the two supplements I submitted, I decided to stay with Allstate. Part of the reason for my decision was the effort the adjuster put out in getting my friends "acutal cash value" up to close to the face value of the policy.

Allstate also offers replacement cost coverage for about 10% of the policy cost. This coverage eliminates any depreciation. All damage is repaired at today's cost.

Ray Rhode
S/Y Journey
E35-III, #189

jmoses

Member III
Insurance

Just remember you usually get what you pay for. With auto add-on policies, the insurance companies are not real boat savvy, nor are they usually real quick to settle a claim. They are cheaper up front, but I've heard some pretty bad stories about the 'cheaper' claim process and settlements as well.

I suggest you try a boat insurance broker who will shop the market and get you the best possible price for your situation. In 6 years I've had Lloyd's of London (yes, the real deal), some other company and now it's been Zurich for the last 3 years.

I find they are reasonable, offer hurricane preparredness reimbursement, towing, break-in coverage (to $2,000) and many other incidnetals that no car or home policy can cover. Plus it's about the same price as the supposed 'cheaper' routes. Try it, you may find a true marine policy is not that bad.

Regardless, MAKE SURE YOU KNOW WHAT YOU ARE PAYING FOR! Agreed Value Vs. Book value? Is there depreciation involved? What EXACTLY is covered? etc. You may find it ain't such a deal if your boat sinks, you paid for book value and it's depreciated 20%.

John M.

briangsmith

Member II
type of coverage???

new to this world.. so what type of coverage are we talking here
(to meet most port/harbor requirements domestically at least)
3d party, collision, mechanical, (heaven forbid) holed and sunk???

brian smith
homer, ak

Emerald

Hi Brian,

Don't think there is a state requirement per se on insurance, but I have not seen a marina yet that would take your boat without having insurance in place. I think it really gets down to how much are you willing to loose (e.g. you are being sued because of an accident, injury etc.). I believe liabiltiy insurance ought to be easy to get. It's hull insurance that will probably require a survey. I have not used them, but for basic liability, I have seen folks saying positive things about Progressive.

-David
Independence 31
Emerald

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Protect yourself and your boat

Our YC just went through a tightening up of insurance requirements over the last 18 months (or, more accurately stated... a tighter enforcement of existing rules).
:rolleyes:
What we require is a clause that shows "pollution abatement and wreck removal". This is in line with most other public and private moorages in our area. Owners are required to submit a copy of their declaration page.
Background: there was a very expensive fire in another Portland area marina where an uninsured boat burned up and destroyed boats on either side. The lawsuits are expected to go on for years... :(
Of course it sunk in the slip and there was a large fuel spill, as well. Every marina in our area has gotten tougher about insurance as a result of that incident and some major marina fires in the Puget Sound area.

I have always had a real "yacht policy" on every boat we owned since our first 20 footer in 1976. I guess I am just "risk adverse."
:)

Best,
Loren in PDX
Olson 34 Fresh Air

Brian Lowman

Member II
I have Boat US insurance on my E25 (high liability, low hull/belongings). After Hurricane Ivan they paid $4200 to lift my boat off the dock, which my Marina handled with them (the marina requires insurance and policy number be on file) without even needing my signature.

They also paid me $1600 to get my boat painted due to piling rash. They would have paid me more, but since I did not want to lose her to them or buy her back from them, I accepted 59% of her value (less deductible and depreciation) - my choice. (even the adjuster remarked what a beautiful little boat she is)

All of this for a boat (under)insured at $3500! My premium went from $290 to $310 a year after the storm and I am considering raising the value of the boat so that the premium will probably go up a little more.

How would I rate Boat US insurance? At least in my case, OUTSTANDING. They were prompt, easy to work with and honest in their discussions. The only thing I did not understand is why the depreciate a 32 year old boat (I would think that she has bottomed out in value by now) :egrin: .

Brian Lowman
s/v Gypsy Rose

timoteo

Member II
insurance

hi there,
also no insurance for me, simply because none of those gangsters are willing to give me an insurance because im under visa up here,
good luck
tim

u realy dont need 1 :devil:

jmoses

Member III
Boat insurance take two

I have had Zurich through Twin Rivers Insurance, who is a brokerage agent, owned by Gary Clausen here in Antioch CA. he's a stand up guy, a straight shooter and will not give you the run around or BS story when it comes to what you are paying for. The beauty is that THEY search the market for me and find the best deal so I do nothing but send in a check. I've been with Zurich now for about three years and thankfully no claims.

FYI, my 1972 E-35 MKII, with off shore coverage up to 200 miles with a value on the boat at about $28,000 runs me $550.00 a year, which I feel is a pretty good deal when you toss in the $2,000 break in coverage, dinghy theft coverage, any reasonable hurricane preparedness coverage (haul outs, roller furler removal, sail removal, bimini removal, hiring a capt. to move to a safe harbor, etc.), plus a monthly newsletter that covers their policy analyses and offers advice on safe boating.

Here in CA, almost 99.9% of the marina's require an endorsement on your insurance policy covering the marina for loss of your vessel and subsequent salvage, pollution mitigation, and any damage your vessel may cause to the marina and other vessels as well. In fact, it's getting to the point that some marinas are requiring valid surveys to get a slip due to the high ratio of 'live-a-boards fix-em uppers' that seem to just decay at the dock, and eventually get abandoned or sink due to an engine removal project that has been going on for 5 years. In essence, they want to see a navigable vessel that has the capability to move under its own power and move if a fire or other catastrhophic situation arises....can you blame the marina owners with some of the floating junk at some of them, the near year long court battle to evict a boat, and the liability left in their wake when the owner skips town after the vessel sinks and spills 500 gallons of fuel? Or worse yet, sets the marina on fire torching my boat and the wanker has no coverage as he 'forgot' to pay his premium as he spent it on meth or some other 'non-boaty' item.

John M.