• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Loose Footed Main

Lone Gull

Member I
I'm ordering new sails for our 32-3 and the sailmaker is recommending a loose footed main with a stackpack. Should I be concerned about the bending moment on the boom with our mid boom sheeting? I'm afraid the boom will buckle if stressed. Any suggestions?

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I'm ordering new sails for our 32-3 and the sailmaker is recommending a loose footed main with a stackpack. Should I be concerned about the bending moment on the boom with our mid boom sheeting? I'm afraid the boom will buckle if stressed. Any suggestions?
Nope. It will be fine. I have had a loose foot main on our boat since 1995. To keep the concern about boom loading in proportion, remember that when it's blowing 25, and you are driving hard rail-down with one reef tied in, all of the clew load is taken at the rear of the boom. (Many years ago a sailmaker soothed my concerns for a similar question with that analogy...)
:)

Bolo

Contributing Partner
I have a loose footed main, lazy jacks and sail bag on my 32-3 that was installed about two years ago. One of the best improvements I’ve made for performance and safety reasons. Also ran all the reefing lines to the cockpit (clew & tack for 1st & 2nd reefs) through new clutches which worked great in a few ”big blows” I’ve been in on the bay. The ability to reef without leaving the cockpit adds safety and convenience. Replacing the old traveler to one with a 4:1 ratio this winter.

4C05DBC5-9123-4958-8941-3926F93427F0.jpeg

ddoles

Member III
I agree with the previous comments on loose footed main. I've had one for years and it works well. Regarding the stack pack, on my E38-200 I do it the old fashion way with no lazy jacks, stack packs, dutchman, etc. I just drop the main and flake it by hand on the boom. I've found this manageable, even single handed, on boats less than 40 ft. The extra convenience of mainsail systems does come with a cost in money and complexity that you should consider if you really need.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I don't think anybody needs a mainsail secured along the boom anymore. Such attachments were necessary for roller furling, which is long obsolete (and was never as good as slab reefing).

Any sailmaker would try to talk you out of it these days.

driftless

Member III
Blogs Author
I have a new mains'l on order and stuck with the tried and true boltrope on the boom because I didn't want to loose my comfy hammock. And I suggest that any advantage of a loose foot is to the sailmaker for not having to sew in a proper shelf than advantage to the sailor in performance of the sail.