• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

lube rigging/hardware??

briangsmith

Member II
OK, so, what do people use for lubing squeaky and
dry blocks and such? most notably the masthead pulleys
for main and job halyard?? (now, while the stick is down!)

b-

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
Harken winch grease on any sheaves like the mast heads and boom ends. McLube on blocks, furlers, traveler cars, hatch slides etc.

NateHanson

Sustaining Member
Problem with grease on exposed parts is that it attracts dirt, and that grit can do damage to bearings once it's in there.

I prefer McLube for anything that isn't fully enclosed. (sheaves, travellers, genoa tracks, luff tracks, furlers (depending on design). Save the grease for winches, IMO.

Nate

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
Mclube I have found is useless on traditional sheaves like those found in the masthead and boom ends. It simply does not provide any lubrication after a week or two in these type fittings. I have found using winch grease in these locations does not attract any significant dirt provided it is applied correctly and not in excess. On bearing blocks and traveller cars with torlon or delrin bearings grease would be a disaster. McLube here for sure. All this is of course MHO...

Glyn Judson

Brian and all, Beyond using a proper grease as mentioned already (only temporary), the final solution is to install a Harken Hi-Load sheave in the mast head. I have several 2 3/4" diameter aluminum sheaves with oil filled bronze bushings up there, one being for the main halyard. Eight or nine yers ago Marilyn complained of not being able to hoist the main without the aid of a winch on the cabin top. I took heart and replaced that one sheave with a Harken #754. Since then she's been able to raise the sail to within inches of the top with arm power alone. Fast forward to a few days ago and I looked at those sheaves while my mast was being painted. The old aluninum one beside the old Harken one was almost frozen to the clevis pin while the Harken spun like the day I put it in there. I might add that I used winch grease on the aluminum one at the time I replaced its neighbor with the #754. Others of you might well have different sized sheaves so a quick look at a Harken catalog would show which one would work for you. Glyn

P Abele

Member II
I use grease heavy load fittings (like gosenect and vang pins), McLube on dry bearings (ones with plastic or derlin bearings like on my Harken traveller car), and Triflow on others (like mast sheaves and pulleys)