• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Lubricate the Rudder

G Kiba

Sustaining Member
Just got done pulling the rudder out of my E27. Any suggestions on what or if to lube the lower bushing with?

Grant Kiba
'73 E27, #406
Antioch,CA

Emerald

Hmmm, wouldn't use anti-seize. Really think of it as something you use on a fastener that you torque to a spec and leave alone to ensure you can remove it someday, but not as something to lubricate two pieces that are meant to move against each other.

I won't claim to be expert on lubricating your type of bushing, but several observations. Many times the materials used in the bushings are "self-lubricating". They are naturally slippery and you don't add anything. The idea is anything you add attracts dirt, in this case salt in the water, and sticks it to the surfaces, which is bad. I've not researched it, but perhaps a dry lubricant like McLube's SailKote would work. I'd be hesitant on using any sort of grease or compound that could hold salt and other dirt and create a grinding compound.

Last edited:

G Kiba

Sustaining Member
Grease fitting?

David,
My E27 (tiller) has a grease fitting at it's base just above the cockpit floor. Upon disassembly, I could see no grease on the shaft close to the fitting so I'm not sure what the fitting is for. There seems to be some dry remnent of what I thought was marine grease (green and sticky) above and below the bushing I agree that dirt could be a problem. Dry lubricant may be the thing to use.

Grant Kiba

EGregerson

Member III
bushing

I would try a marine grease like they use on Mercruiser outdrive prop shafts. When i dropped my rudder, i noticed the upper bushing had little/no wear and contained some residual lubricant; the lower was dry and had some wear. With all the water surging in there I suspect the lower bushing needs a lot more frequent lubing than what they get. And i suspect that with the internal size of the log, you could pump a tube or 2 before it would fill and squeeze the grease into the lower bushing.

Emerald

Well, I won't argue with the grease fitting indicating that grease might be OK here. This might be one to go ahead and grease, and then make part of your annual inspection on hauling etc.

It's been awhile since I went through the E-27 owner's manual (posted on this site in Doc's section), but have you checked it to see if it gives any guidlines?

chaco

Member III
WaterProof Grease

My DockFathers recommend WaterProof Wheel Bearing Grease for Boat
Trailers in the Zerc Fittings. Fill em' up till they goop out :nerd:
Works great and takes out a bit of the clunkyness in the shaft.

Happy Steering :egrin: :egrin:

Rocinante33

Contributing Partner
Send those Dockfathers my way, will ya? I need their counsel. No offers I can't refuse, please.

The waterproof wheel bearing grease should work well. Don't substitute a lithium based grease, though. As discussed on other posts, it can enhance corrosion.