• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Lubricating Morse cables?

gabosifat

Member III
Hi Everyone,
While in the pedestal, I’m wondering if it’s possible, (or recommended) to try and lubricate the Morse throttle and gear cables from the top. I know on a lot of motorbike cables are teflon lined, and lubricating them can make them swell.
Any experience or recommendations?
Many thanks,
Steve Gabbott
E35/3 Silent Dancer
Gabriola Island, BC

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
Hi Everyone,
While in the pedestal, I’m wondering if it’s possible, (or recommended) to try and lubricate the Morse throttle and gear cables from the top. I know on a lot of motorbike cables are teflon lined, and lubricating them can make them swell.
Any experience or recommendations?
Many thanks,
Steve Gabbott
E35/3 Silent Dancer
Gabriola Island, BC
My cables are about 5 years old, and I do drip a few drops of 3 in 1 oil down the top at the pedestal, being careful not to get any on the shaft where the wheel brake sits. I also put a few drops at the tranny end of the cable and move it back and forth a bit, though careful to not get a any on the tranny seals.
I find it does make the shifter a bit easier, and I have not noticed any trouble from doing that, but I don't know if it's generally recommended.
Frank

peaman

Sustaining Member
If your control cables are showing any resistance due to age or wear, I would encourage you to replace them with new. The cost is small compared to lots of other boat expenses, and the improved performance can be startling. If your boat is like mine was, you might even be able to replace the existing with cables a foot or more shorter.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
It is generally said that control cables can't be successfully lubricated, or saved. After all, they're long runs and 30 years old. And as has been said many times, there's nothing more worth a few dollars than butter-smooth cables for shift and throttle.

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
The pro guys suggest these cables should be replaced every five years, but I don't know of anyone who does that.
Frank

u079721

Contributing Partner
The pro guys suggest these cables should be replaced every five years, but I don't know of anyone who does that.
Frank
Some years ago I documented here how my gear cable broke just as I was negotiating a rocky entrance to an anchorage, and I had to rush to get the anchor down. I later read in Nigel Calder's book that he does indeed recommend changing control cables ever five years (and keep the old ones on board as spares). Granted that no one seems to actually do it, but after my experience I am now a believer.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Five years seems too soon to me, and thirty years is way into the twilight zone of reliability. Maybe about 15 or 20 would be a good place.... or do it "as needed".
We have changed both of ours, for different reasons, since the 90's.
As with a LOT of other preventative maintenance on boats, just about anything... over three decades later, should probably be get repaired or updated. :(

u079721

Contributing Partner
Five years seems too soon to me, and thirty years is way into the twilight zone of reliability. Maybe about 15 or 20 would be a good place.... or do it "as needed".
We have changed both of ours, for different reasons, since the 90's.
As with a LOT of other preventative maintenance on boats, just about anything... over three decades later, should probably be get repaired or updated. :(
Well I'd certainly have to agree that pushing it out to 10 or so years is fine. But for anyone who cruises away from your home port I'd suggest you get your new spares now and keep them on board. That way you can easily fix a broken engine cable in that remote anchorage or far away port without waiting for the part. Unfortunately the best way to be sure you have the right part is to remove the old one to measure its length.

Last edited:

peaman

Sustaining Member
Unfortunately the best way to be sure you have the right part is to remove the old one to measure its length.
This may not be necessary. It may be hard to find and read, but the length of the cable is almost certainly stamped or printed on the jacket itself. I included a photograph in this thread. As I recall, that information appears only once on the cable, and fairly close to one end, so it might be necessary to go into the pedestal to find it.

gabosifat

Member III
Thanks to all of you who replied. Will definitely look at replacing them as my son is planning an extended trip up to Haida Gwai which will be a long way from anywhere that might have cables…
cheers,
Steve

Puget sailor

Member II
I’ll add that on 32-3 boats a few of us have found our original control cables are dramatically longer than what is appropriate. Mine drops down and makes a complete circumnavigation of the engine bay and rudder post before heading to its destination. So don’t order what’s in there without checking first. A fellow member provided lengths for my new cables, still in their box in the V-berth awaiting warmer weather for installation. One is about 8’ long, and I’m sure the installed cable is more like 16’. There are notes going back to when the boat was new in its log griping about the stiffness of the controls too!

The cables are not that expensive, and I think newer ones have better construction too. The ownership of the company keeps shifting, it used to be Morse, then Teleflex Morse, now it seems to be Seastar marine owned by Dometic? I think it’s all the same product though. Even shows up on Amazon, but I favor spending at my local chandlery which sources from Fisheries Supply in Seattle. Fwiw, the fisheries online inventory system is in transition, so just because it says they don’t have something, they most likely still do. Another reason it’s good to work with a chandlery that pulls from them if there is one near you.
10429817-2414-4AC7-A38C-FF7B8AD52A7E.jpeg