• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

M-25XP Universal diesel for sale

cdesopo

Member II
1989 M25XP, Universal diesel. Three-cylinder, 23 hp w/Hurth 50 trans. Starts and runs fine with no leaks. Just motored all day with no issues. Repowering due to transmission failure & unreliable electrical. Still in the boat - engine is coming out in January. Selling complete with panel, fuel pump, Racor filter, trans. $2,000 obo

M25XP.JPG

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
So I'm a bit puzzled, because you say the engine ran well all day but you're replacing it because of transmission and electrical problems. Many of us have replaced the 50 Hurth transmission with a Twin Disc MG340 or similar at a cost of about $2,000, and electrical wiring and related issues can be solved even more easily. Replacing an engine is very expensive.
You likely have a very good reason for your decision, but I'm puzzled for now.
Frank

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Perhaps he was seduced by the glamour of the photos of Betamarine25's in similar Ericsons...
:)
The reasons cited for replacement are similar to our rationale in replacing a running M25XP. I calculated that the total rebuild and replacement of the trans. would have been over half way to the cost of the new engine, and if I did that work I would still have an "old" engine. Also, I would have farmed out the rebuild, as I am not a machinist, which adds to the cost.
No incorrect solutions to these sort of situations, just varying options and costs.
The asking price seems quite reasonable to me, BTW.

Last edited:

cdesopo

Member II
Loren has it. Her rationale/decision to repower Fresh Air was very much in line with where we are right now. A major factor for us is we really can't say how well the motor was serviced for the first ~30 years of it's life (hours? valve adjustments? heatex svc?).

Yes, $2k for the trans is roughly what I'm seeing, +damper plate (which one I don't know). I can't install it, I know my limitations :) It ran for about 14 hours & didn't top off the batteries (original alternator needs replacing). Did I mention on occasion it just wouldn't start? I know, lose the trailer connectors, replace the panel. The list goes on... Two years with the boat and both seasons cut very short by mechanical problems.

Unfortunately, work gets in the way of boat repair projects that take more than a couple hours. We need a dependable engine and are sure that is what we'll get with the new Beta.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
FWIW, there is a pristine E-32-3 in our YC with a late model Betamarine25, installed about 5 or 6 years ago. It replaced a model M25 Universal. The boat has recently changed hands and the engine has proven to be very reliable. I am coaxing the new owner to post on this site and discuss it. Similar to our re-power, a professional mechanic did much of the work, with the owner assisting.

rpm

Member II
E28+ diesel M12
The universal is legendary in my opinion. I went through the same logic as per the above figuring a 40 year old direct water cooled diesel with less HP than my lawnmower and 4000 hrs was ready for retirement. Wrong. That works to just 100 hrs per year. Just maintain it and use Salt Away religiously. Anyone want a Yamaha kicker unused?