• Untitled Document

Join us on September 27th, 7pm EDT

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the people you've met online!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

September Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

M-40/5432 V-Belt OEM Replacement or Equivalent

Jeff Uzl

I searched through the forum and surprisingly didn't find anything on V-Belt replacement. I have an M-40 motor and currently have an aftermarket Napa XL25 7440 that the previous owner put on. It seems to be a little wider than what would be standard and is "dusty" as a result.

I also currently have on order the OEM Universal 239648. I have not been able to find specs on the 239648 or even an aftermarket direct cross reference. My questions:

Does anyone know the specs of the Universal Belt 239648 (Width, circumference, depth)?
Does anyone know what an aftermarket equivalent would be for the Universal Belt 239648?

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Yeah, not easy to find for a question that comes up a lot. As I understand it, a wide belt is fine as long as it still seats deep in the pulley. I have several spares on the boat but of course not handy for reference.

What alternator do you have? Above 100 amps new pulleys sometimes recommended. Mine is 100 amps and works fine with OEM pulleys.

Maine Sail may help: https://marinehowto.com/marine-alternator-installation-tips-tricks/

Jeff Uzl

Yeah, not easy to find for a question that comes up a lot. As I understand it, a wide belt is fine as long as it still seats deep in the pulley. I have several spares on the boat but of course not handy for reference.

What alternator do you have? Above 100 amps new pulleys sometimes recommended. Mine is 100 amps and works fine with OEM pulleys.

Maine Sail may help: https://marinehowto.com/marine-alternator-installation-tips-tricks/
Thanks Christian, much appreciated. The alternator in place is OEM, nothing updated or changed from original spec.

By the way, I watched your cabin sole installation YouTube video. Very impressive final outcome.

bgary

Advanced Beginner
Blogs Author
Does anyone know the specs of the Universal Belt 239648 (Width, circumference, depth)?
Does anyone know what an aftermarket equivalent would be for the Universal Belt 239648?

I know that the M25 is based on the Kubota D850 motor. Which means that when I need a part for my M25, I can go to the local Kubota dealer, point to the part I need on their D850 parts-diagram and end up with the right thing for my motor.

I don't know what the M40 maps to in the Kubota world, but... if someone can figure that out you could get an OEM Kubota belt for your motor. And then you'd have one you could compare aftermarket belts against.

$.02
Bruce