• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

M25 5421 engine Alternator yellow wire to Facet fuel pump question

1911tex

Sustaining Member
The yellow wire with masking tape connects to a purple wire and is also tailed to the Facet electric fuel pump. Seems the yellow wire may be a "test point". Facet works perfectly; however my question: Is this Facet fuel pump connection correct?

Second question: Where does the purple wire go, seems to disappear into the wiring loom going back to the control panel?

Attachments

• B337A33B-BF32-46E0-BBD5-692E41059FE5.jpeg
    B337A33B-BF32-46E0-BBD5-692E41059FE5.jpeg
    62 KB · Views: 13

Kenneth K

1985 32-3, Puget Sound
Blogs Author
The yellow wire is for "alternator excitation." It uses battery power to create an electric "field" in the generator to help it begin generating power. I think the generator will still work without it, but may not begin generating voltage until the engine is revved above a certain level. The purple wire carries electricity from the engine panel back down to the engine compartment when the engine panel key switch is "on," to power the "excitation" circuit.

Ericson was supposed to run a second wire (14 ga) from the engine panel to the engine compartment (to power the fuel pump) but didn't. Instead, they just spliced into the purple wire to steal power from it. On my boat, the purple wire was powering alternator excitation, the fuel pump, and the hour meter. Not ideal (the purple wire is only 16ga) but it did work for 30 years until I re-wired the panel.

Last edited: