• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Made it to Cabo San Lucas

Sven

Seglare
Another vigorous sail but we're now in Cabo San Lucas since Friday night.

We hadn't planned to stop here because of all the negative reviews but we were beat and it is a hopping place that's actually kind of fun even at $1.60 per foot per night !

I did find out that when running before the wind in really lumpy conditions the Cape Horn steers better than I do :egrin:

The 25+ pound yellow-tail tuna was a nice surprise and added to the excitement :0

-Sven

McGinnis

Member II
Congrats Sven and Nancy!

How long are you guys going to be down there? Where are you heading to next?

We're leaving Ensenada today and going to La Paz as quick as possible. Hopefully we can meet up again.

Brian

mherrcat

Contributing Partner
Well, $1.60/ft works out to $62.40 a night, which is probably a hell of a lot better than the hotel rates in Cabo. Plus you most likely have a better view...

Sven

Seglare
Hi Brian and Dawn,

Just checked out your blog :egrin:

How long are you guys going to be down there? Where are you heading to next?

We're leaving Ensenada today and going to La Paz as quick as possible. Hopefully we can meet up again.

We'll stay in Cabvo San Lucas 3-4 more days. Want to get a Costco run in while here to resupply batteries and night provisions (Cliff bars and bags of M&Ms and the like). We also confirmed that the fishermen down the coast really like sweets and cookies, and we were out, so that's something else to stock up on.

I didn't realize you guys were heading south !

What stops are you planning on along the way ? If you haven't been down here before be forewarned that the bays are HUGE. The weather is also larger than we were used to up i California.

What do you use for wind forecasts ? We've been using the standard ones (when in web contact) and GRIB files and are totally unimpressed so far.

We will make 4 stops from here to La Paz, taking it in ~40 NM chunks under jib alone.

When do you think you'll get to Cabo, if you do ?

-Sven

Sven

Seglare
Well, $1.60/ft works out to $62.40 a night, which is probably a hell of a lot better than the hotel rates in Cabo. Plus you most likely have a better view...

True, but the transient dock wanted $120USD/night and had no room. No idea why the larger marina is so much less :confused:

This place is like a cross between Disneyland and Hooters on steroids but we're enjoying our short stay. The boat yard chandler is amazingly unfullfilling so for a boating Mecca it does leave one a bit confused.

We're still enjoying :egrin:

-Sven

windjunkee

Member III
La Paz is much more cruiser friendly, but the north winds can be cold this time of year - much colder in La Paz than in Cabo. Get down past Cabo Corriente. The weather is much more balmy and tropical and the pace more relaxed.

When you're going down the mainland coast, don't forget to stop off at Chacala - a little bay about 30 miles north of Punta de Mita. There is more development now than there was the first time I went in 1987, but its still very cool. Enjoy the trip.

Jim McCone
Voice of Reason, E-32 Hull #134
Redondo Beach, CA

Peregrine

Member II
La Paz and the Mainland

Concur, regarding Chacala! One of the best anchorages in Mexico

Also, I would avoid La Paz at this time of year. There are frequent cold Northers and you are in Mexico for the warmth. Go to La Paz in June and head to the mainland now. Banderas Bay and environs are great. La Cruz is the most fun in Mexico. The Gold Coast is wonderful.

Keep sailing!

Tony
Peregrine Spirit
E-380
Mexico Class of 2010-11

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Concur, regarding Chacala! One of the best anchorages in Mexico

Also, I would avoid La Paz at this time of year. There are frequent cold Northers and you are in Mexico for the warmth. Go to La Paz in June and head to the mainland now. Banderas Bay and environs are great. La Cruz is the most fun in Mexico. The Gold Coast is wonderful.

Keep sailing!

Tony
Peregrine Spirit
E-380
Mexico Class of 2010-11

Don't think they got the message, they are still working their way up to La Paz. http://share.findmespot.com/shared/faces/viewspots.jsp?glId=0JiV9BZ8bbCyBbE0qoybcYJqRlMxOhrYS

Sven

Seglare
Thx.

Thanks for the advice.

We do need to get to La Paz because that's where our nephew will join us for a few weeks.

It is also where we hope to get the gooseneck fixed. Sailing under just jib is fine but we have this other nice sail that feels neglected by now :egrin:

We'll probably leave bay of the dead on Monday AM to get into La Paz before the forecast 30 knot blow that's coming Wednesday and Thursday. Since the winds have consistently been twice what has been forecast we don't feel like sitting out this one in the open :0

-Sven