• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Mahogany Refinishing

windjunkee

Member III
I'm a new inductee to the Ericson owner's club and appreciate all the information posted on this site. It is helpful and informative.
I picked up a '70 32-2 -- former owner is Mike Krebs, also a participant on this site, boat name "Voice of Reason" -- a couple of weeks ago and am assessing the work to be done to clean it up. (As a "kudo" to Mike, the boat is in good shape and the electrical/electronics are impeccable. It has radar, chartplotter, windpoint/windspeed/invertor, batteries up the yingyang -- i.e. incredibly well equipped for a 32 ft and especially for a 35 year old 32 ft.)
Most notably, I've followed the threads about the A-4 engine and we're working with Moyer Marine extensively. I've also followed the thread about the cabin sole and am considering some of the suggestions.
However, I have yet to see this issue addressed. The mahogany wood belowdecks is looking like it is on a 35 year old boat. I figure the panelling is just that -- marine ply with a mahogany veneer. All the wood is varnished and is looking pretty beat up. I am considering various possibilities to clean up the look, but I'm not anxious to pull out the power sanders and go to town, nor am I interested in replacing the wood.

With that said, does anyone have any suggestions, tips, etc. to try to bring the wood back to life without conducting major surgery?

Thanks
Jim

gjersvik

Member II
Take a look at...

Take a look at my experience in the thread E-25 interior refinishing. In the E-25 a good deal of the mahogany is veneer plywood, and I would be concerned that sanding might sand throuigh the veneer. By the way, Admiral's varnish, which I used, is currently on sale at WM.

Joe Benedict

Member II
Take it slow

My sailing skills may not be the best but I do know woodworking. Since there is not a specific problem stated, I can give only some general comments. I agree generally with the notion from Mr. Gjersvik that veneers are not to be sanded. If you must sand do it by hand and start with finishing quality sandpaper - something with a grit over 200 or extra fine (00 or 000) brass/bronze (not steel) wool. This is kind of opposite of paint removal or fiberglass finishing. Wood cleaners work well and the glue that holds the veneer on is extremely water and solvent resistant. In order to get a good start, I would suggest you take a door or something and go to your local hardware store - that's correct it doesn't have to be a marine store. Most of the products for refinishing can be purchased at at local hardware store. One thing to consider is re-veneering. Some parts of the interior may simply cause more problems to remove then to refinish in place. If you replace any mahogany it probably will not match. I had to replace a railing and it wasn't even close to looking like the original. I ended up going to Menards and getting some sample packets they carry of Varathane stains ($0.10 each I think). A light coat of red mahogany stain matched almost exactly. Whatever you do, try it out first on an out of the way area. I also just tried the Admiral's varnish. It left a good quality finish - endurance has yet to be determined. Hope this helps a little.