• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Main Circuit Panel

Mcrazzle

Hi Everyone!
I've been sailing for a few years now and owned my E29 for a year and a half, so I'm a newbie and learning as I go.

I've been on the forum for a while, but have really started diving into boat projects these past few months.

I'm wondering how easy it is to replace the main toggle circuit breaker. Last month when reconnecting shore power it wasn't working and then my fellow sail person was gently zapped (fortunately it was gentle). We realized there was quite a bit of moisture around the panel. I've since had the boat disconnected from power out of sheer terror but am now worried about the humidity. When I've been back to check on the boat, the moisture seems to be gone from that area, which doesn't make sense to me. (unless the humidifier really doesn't do it's job?) I did unscrew the panel and this is what I discovered. Looks like some corrosion is going on and that things have definitely been wet. I'm hoping to fix all this, but wanted to reach out because I know sailors have lots of advice/opinions and love to give it.

Attachments

• IMG_0440.jpg
    IMG_0440.jpg
    141.5 KB · Views: 31

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
That appears to be just a naked household circuit breaker - I hope there's some sort of enclosure behind there... AC devices should always be protected inside a properly sized enclosure. Pretty trivial to replace like-with-like. But it sounds as if you may not have a GFCI or ELCI device, which should shut off the circuit if it gets wet or otherwise shorted out.

Consider upgrading to a proper marine panel - these Blue Seas ones are nice, though they do cost a chunk of change and might require finding a new location. A boat electrical manual might be a good first step, and then inspect the entire system.
1606431074190.png

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
OK - mistaken identity from the close-up photo. That Blue Seas breaker might work if cleaned up, but it's definitely not supposed to get wet. The current standard is for one with ELCI. You could build an enclosure, or even just pop in a plastic "old work" electrical box from Home Depot, and seal up the unused openings with a dab of silicone - though the mounting holes probably wouldn't line up with your switch panel. Maybe get a blank nylon wall plate (switch cover), which would screw into the old-work box, and cut a hole in it to mount your breaker panel. I've used that method on a few things, such as the bilge pump switch panel. Might need a double-gang box to fit - not sure.

1606436881387.png1606436946758.png

Nice stocking-stuffers:

1606435240421.png 1606435362097.png

I ended up re-wiring my entire E29 and relocating the panels to some new cabinetry on the port side - sort of went a tiny bit overboard with it. :rolleyes:

Dave G.

1984 E30+ Ludington, MI
Not sure if you already bought that panel but if not check out Defender Marine as they have much better pricing and will actually ship the items before next spring. West is really expensive and shipping is horrible.

Nick J

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
This thread reminded me that I still have an ac panel sitting in a box of spares.

It's still available if anyone's interested.

Mcrazzle

This is great and SO HELPFUL! Sköl is an E29 and I've had a gut feeling the wiring has needed some TLC or more. I certainly know a lot more than I did at the beginning of this day and tomorrow when I'm working on her I'll pull out that panel again. @trickdhat I may reach out to you for that part once I get my bearings!

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
There are some relevant discussions on the site. Back in the 70's very few boat builders were installing much for AC systems in smaller boats, and any gear that was installed became outdated a long time -decades- ago, and needs to be replaced anyway, IMHO.

Here is just one thread: https://ericsonyachts.org/ie/threads/ericson-27-shore-power.17327/#post-127921

And my addition of an ABYC-legal shore power breaker adjacent to our cord inlet.

Sidebar: when using the "search" box on this site, you can put in your search term and then the name of a site member that you know, from reading the previous threads, is likely to have a presence with some related input in an earlier thread. Christian is one such, and so is Tom M. You will find others as you read thru the many threads. We are fortunate to have had sailmakers, electricians, ship wrights, and former EY employees posting here. The depth of information they have brought and continue to bring is amazing at times! :)

Mcrazzle

There are some relevant discussions on the site. Back in the 70's very few boat builders were installing much for AC systems in smaller boats, and any gear that was installed became outdated a long time -decades- ago, and needs to be replaced anyway, IMHO.

Here is just one thread: https://ericsonyachts.org/ie/threads/ericson-27-shore-power.17327/#post-127921

And my addition of an ABYC-legal shore power breaker adjacent to our cord inlet.

Sidebar: when using the "search" box on this site, you can put in your search term and then the name of a site member that you know, from reading the previous threads, is likely to have a presence with some related input in an earlier thread. Christian is one such, and so is Tom M. You will find others as you read thru the many threads. We are fortunate to have had sailmakers, electricians, ship wrights, and former EY employees posting here. The depth of information they have brought and continue to bring is amazing at times! :)
Yes! I know the former owner of my boat was once on this site, but I think they left after selling her. This place is a wonderful wealth of knowledge.

Tin Kicker

Sustaining Member
Something's missing in this discussion to me. I see a photo of the end of some type of breaker near a hole in a panel. Got that much.

What I don't understand yet is where or how somebody got a shock. What was it that your partner was touching when you put in the shore plug? The panel itself is wood and the toggle is plastic, plus a humidity short should be from terminal to terminal and not to the toggle. Was your partner standing barefoot in water on the deck? Touch something else conductive at the time?

kapnkd

kapnkd
Hi Everyone!
I've been sailing for a few years now and owned my E29 for a year and a half, so I'm a newbie and learning as I go.

I've been on the forum for a while, but have really started diving into boat projects these past few months.

I'm wondering how easy it is to replace the main toggle circuit breaker. Last month when reconnecting shore power it wasn't working and then my fellow sail person was gently zapped (fortunately it was gentle). We realized there was quite a bit of moisture around the panel. I've since had the boat disconnected from power out of sheer terror but am now worried about the humidity. When I've been back to check on the boat, the moisture seems to be gone from that area, which doesn't make sense to me. (unless the humidifier really doesn't do it's job?) I did unscrew the panel and this is what I discovered. Looks like some corrosion is going on and that things have definitely been wet. I'm hoping to fix all this, but wanted to reach out because I know sailors have lots of advice/opinions and love to give it.

Assuming your E-29 is a 70’s vintage (??) It would be similar to our E/32-II with the main panel at the aft of the galley and, as you mentioned, the backside open and exposed inside the cockpit lazaret.

We completely rewired ours, went with a Blue Seas panel and moved it to a previous storage locker in the rear 1/4 berth. We designed and rebuilt it to be a drop down panel for ease of access to all wiring. A bit of effort but well worth it as it remains a dry area and easy to add or maintain connections.

The old area was redone with teak and only an A/C outlet remains as our new panel includes the AC breakers as well. 0A0894B3-193B-4B61-A66F-A46BA8B659CC.jpeg
1088D725-69A1-4E2E-87FF-907546208CA6.jpegD766DA2A-0C51-4912-AF42-8DF52DBC8E90.jpeg1CE1C69E-76E2-4181-A24C-6D683D4C1CB7.jpeg1DBF5205-1A6C-4271-A695-D1FE91D5C5F0.jpeg

Last edited: