• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Main Sail is hard to Pull Up

Peter B

My mainsail is hard to raise. I overhauled the winch but the main is un-naturally hard to raise and lower.
I squirt some 3-in-0ne into the track and checked the slugs.
Mine is a 37 year old Ericson 30+ with the original main and mast.
Any suggestions for making the Mainsail easier to raise and lower?
Always appreciate your input.
Thanks
-Peter

Bepi

E27 Roxanne
How about the foresail? My first inclination would be to look at the sheaves at the top of the mast.

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
My mainsail is hard to raise. I overhauled the winch but the main is un-naturally hard to raise and lower.
I squirt some 3-in-0ne into the track and checked the slugs.
Mine is a 37 year old Ericson 30+ with the original main and mast.
Any suggestions for making the Mainsail easier to raise and lower?
Always appreciate your input.
Thanks
-Peter
Raising the mainsail on the E30+ is a bit hard as it's a big sail compared with many.
I would not use 3 in 1 oil. I would start by cleaning the track, with track cleaners available on line, or you can make your own (there are previous posts about this on this site.).
Then spray the track with McLube dry lube, which won't attract as much dirt as your 3 in 1 oil.
Spray the track and the slides.
As others are suggesting, check the masthead and lube it as well, making sure the sheaves run freely.
Finally, always raise the mainsail heading directly into the wind to relieve any wind pressure on the sail.
Frank

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Many of us install the Tides Strong Track or Sail Track just to cure age-related issues. Do it yourself, cost not bad, gets attractive when time for a new mainsail because special slugs are required along with, usually, a new sail cover.

Many testimonials if you search the forum.

Dave G.

1984 E30+ Ludington, MI
If you have been using 3 in 1 oil for any length of time you will need to thoroughly clean your track and slides. Any kind of oily lube will attract dust and debris which will "gum up the works" as they say. Then as Frank suggests use Mclube Sailkote or similar dry Teflon based lubricant only. I too have a 30+ and raise my main hand over hand at the mast just needing winch to get luff tension.

Ours was the same when we first bought our boat (30+) and we can know raise it the same as Dave with no issues. Trying to think back to what we did… we were a mess at first. Ended up with a halyard wrap when we (accidentally) loosened the halyard on the genoa. Thankfully we had some advice and guidance from some folks in the marina. We have come a long way!

Definitely used sailkote for the tracks. Go through your running rigging and tune your standing rigging. I was amazed when we made the adjustments how much the mast bends. You can actually see an ‘S’ curve if you lay down and look up at the mast.

We ultimately took down our mast (to run new wires and install items on the mast) and changed out our main halyard. That was two years ago and we still have no issues. I am not sure what exactly worked, but it was easier before we did the mast work and even easier after. Not sure how helpful this is, but we definitely had the exact same question four years ago!

Shannon

Peter B

I ended up purchasing a new sail and Strong Track. Thanks to responders who pointed me in the right direction.
Much better action especially coming down. I need a way to gather the sail once down. I had a dutch lazy jack on my previous sail and wasn't that thrilled with it. I think I'd like to get a Lazy Jack Bag system. Does anyone have any experience with Lazy Jack bags? Any recommendations?