• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Main sail rigging

KenLeff

Ken in Atlanta
I am the new owner of an E25 (1974). The first time I raised the main sail the halyard came down so far that the metal cable was on the winch to get the sail all the way up. Is this normal? The boom is currently at the black stripe around the mast. I assume from photos I've seen that this is the correct placement but it can obviously be adjusted lower. I have documentation from this site but haven't found answers there.

Thanks for your help! Great boat!

WhiteNoise

Member III
Probably not

I assume you're talking about a rope/wire halyard. The wire and winch rubbing together could soon damage both and cause the wire to split, which could then cause other issues.

Be sure that you don't have your jib and main halyards reversed first and also check to be sure you have not now put bends in the wire. If neither is the case then I would either have the wire cut and move the fitting or even better, take this opportunity to change to an all rope halyard.

Hope that helps and happy sailing!

Seth

Sustaining Partner
Yes, but....

It depends-you SHOULD check to be sure the halyards are not reversed, but it was not uncommon to use a S.S. winch DESIGNED to have the wire around it-especially back in those days-it might be fine, but it depends on what the winch is made of. If it is a shiny S.S. winch drum, you are likely fine-the way it should work is that you will have 3-5 turns around the winch with wire, and the last 1-3 turns will be the rope-so that the rope tail is what leaves the winch and ties to the mast cleat..If it is like this, you are fine.

Over....
S

KenLeff

Ken in Atlanta
Thanks!

Thanks to you both for the inputs! I think the winch is SS. I'll visit the boat tomorrow and know for sure.

Regards

Ken