• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Main Sheet Traveller Position question

unequaltee

Member II
The PO of my E35-2 moved the Main sheet traveller from the bridge deck just in front of the pedestal, to the forward end of the cockpit.<O:p</O:p
I had originally thought of returning it to its right full place, giving unobstructed access to the cabin. But, as I intend to use the boat for cruising in hotter climes, and to keep the rain off when sailing in the UK! I intend fitting a Bimini, and possibly a pedestal guard with chart plotter.<O:p</O:p
I would very much appreciate any thoughts. Thanks in advance. Ian<O:p</O:p

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
"Gimme Shelter"

No charge for our thoughts... and valued accordingly.:rolleyes:

Our model has the stock location on the rear of a bridge deck. This is 90% ideal for sailing, but does limit the "overlap" of the dodger back into the cockpit area. When we put a bimini on someday, OTOH, it will allow that protection to come forward a decent distance to protect the helmsperson.

If you look at a picture of the E-31C, note that they often have a dodger, bimini, and a connecting piece that zips in when they move the mainsheet to one side or the other while at anchor or docked.

I like the traveler adjacent to the wheel on the E-35-2, and that would let the dodger come back to give good shelter to the front part of the cockpit where the watch is sheltering from spray. OTOH, the bimini would have to stop short of the sheet and so would give the driver less coverage if the sun is forward of the beam.
Perhaps some owners of sisterships can post up pictures of their shelter solutions. :confused:

Edit: added picture of an E-35-2 that I believe has raced offshore in the past, and note the nice size dodger. The main sheet is in the factory location, which would limit the forward extention of a bimini top a little.

Regards,
Loren

Attachments

• e35-2_under_mylar.jpg
    e35-2_under_mylar.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 305
Last edited:

CaptDan

Member III
I had originally thought of returning it to its right full place, giving unobstructed access to the cabin. But, as I intend to use the boat for cruising in hotter climes, and to keep the rain off when sailing in the UK! I intend fitting a Bimini, and possibly a pedestal guard with chart plotter

There's simply nothing like the convenience of having the mainsheet ready at hand, especially sailing shorthanded or solo. I think this goes double for the wheel steered deep cockpit E35II.

Imagine, it's night time - you're sheeted in hard, wind suddenly pipes up. You launch forward to release the mainsheet and BAMM! Whoops! You just took a header over the aft thwart.:confused: That wouldn't have happened had the sheet been right there in front of you, as Mr King designed.

I'm not saying a bimini isn't nice, and perhaps there's a way to modify one while keeping the mainsheet where it was intended. But, a traveler out of reach is one more important control - out of mind. To sail an E35II to her best, frequent access to the mainsheet traveler is very important, IMO. And, aside from the convenience, there's the added purchase power from the factory located sheet.

My 2 pennies.

EDIT: The picture above is of 'Sail A Vie' - a well sailed E35II with an impressive racing track record, including a few single handed Transpacs.

Capt Dan G>E35II "Kunu"

Last edited:

unequaltee

Member II
Thanks for your time & thoughts guys, I think I was coming to the same conclusion - put it back where it should be, and buy a waterproof sun hat! but always good to hear other valued opinions.
I struggle at times to visualize a time when mine will look anything like the photo.
Cheers Ian

CaptDan

Member III
I struggle at times to visualize a time when mine will look anything like the photo.

To be fair, Phil MacFarlane - Sail La Vie's owner - has owned the boat for many, many years. He's had plenty of time to massage her into the beauty she is today.

So take a deep breath, do one thing at a time. And above all, enjoy sailing your boat. That's what she was made for.:egrin:

Capt Dan G>E35II "Kunu"

steven

Sustaining Member
traveler back by the wheel is also very convenient in light air jibing. Grab the sheet between the blocks and just yank the boom over.

Of course light air around here ususally means hot sun, so that's when you most miss a Bimini.

I'm thinking of a Bimini just over the skipper's well (aft of the traveler) - anybody try that?

--Steve