• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Maine Sail - MarineHowTo

Slick470

Member III
Saw this on Sailing Anarchy and thought I'd share it here as well. Maine Sail is also a member here and has been a great resource to those of us with older boats. I've used his website, forum posts, and forum articles quite a bit over the years to help guide me through my various projects. I've also made the occasional purchase from his website. Especially the famous butyl tape. Get well soon Rodd.

Reposted from Sailboat Owners Forums: https://forums.sailboatowners.com/threads/maine-sail-update.1249931174/

In case you haven't heard, Maine Sail (some people call him Rodd Collins) had a medical event last week that left us all with more questions than answers. I just got off the phone with his brother and we finally have some details to share.

Rodd had a hemorrhagic stroke. He survived that -- many people would not -- and is now out of the ICU. While he's quite weak and dealing with limited movement, he is regaining his sense of humor and joking with nurses.

He starts rehab tomorrow so in the coming weeks he'll have a better idea of how this will unfold, but I'm told it's likely to be a long road back. Well, I should say it would be a long road for most people but if there's anyone who can put his mind to something and get it done, it's Rodd.

There's not much we can do right now to make things better for him, but I'm going to take the liberty of suggesting this:

If Rodd has ever given you some good advice, or solved an issue on your boat from 3,000 miles away, or recommended a product that did exactly what you needed, please consider making a donation through his website, https://marinehowto.com/support/. Just scroll down and click the Donate button. This will not only help his family during Rodd's recovery but help ensure his sites are still around and maintained when he's ready to jump back into the marine biz.

While this is extremely sad and disturbing news, I can't help but smile when I think of Rodd gaining strength, doing his research, and coming up with a plan that will leave him in better shape than he was in when it happened. If there's anyone who can pull it off, Maine Sail's the guy.

windblown

Member III
His articles and this forum have encouraged many ”new” boat owners to invest time and energy in maintenance and upgrades that assure that our boats will be around for many more years. I am personally grateful to his contributions, and also grateful for his impact on the sailing community more broadly.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Donation sent. And it doesn't begin to equal the mechanic bills he has helped me avoid over the years.