• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Mainsheet traveler system change, and boat modification

John326

I’m looking to do something with mine, any advice in changing this out? Why did you decide to change the whole system? Does anyone make a traveler car to fit the existing track?

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
A friend of mine just recently replaced his worn stock traveler on his early 80's Yamaha 33, with a new one from Garhauer. He loves it. (We have a regular "sailing on Sundays" extremely informal non-race all winter here. So unless it's snowing or freezing about 10 to 20 boats go out and sail around for an hour. This winter it's all single handing or family crew. The boat gets sailed regularly.)
Anyhow, he sent the old traveler down to Garhauer and they duplicated the hole spacing and fastener size in the new one. His bridge deck is very similar to the E-25+, and also the E-33RH.

FWIW, if you go to the trouble to replace it, might as well over-drill, epoxy in and re-drill all the holes anyway. What I found, prepping for our re-fit, and he also confirmed, is the old OEM traveler control blocks, lines, lead angles, and etc was due for upgrading to a tackle with more parts.

Last edited:

rconehere

Member I
I’m looking to do something with mine, any advice in changing this out? Why did you decide to change the whole system? Does anyone make a traveler car to fit the existing track?
I believe you can find cars to fit, but not easy. The original track if definitely not as beefy as the new one. You will be much happier replacing the entire system. Night and day. There is metal set in the track area, so it is easier to match your existing hole pattern. With the E-25 plus, the track is set in a channel. The Garhauer system is wider, so I had to fill in the channel for it to fit. Actually like it more this way.

Alan Gomes

Sustaining Partner
On my E26-2 (nearly the same boat as yours) I upgraded to the Garhauer traveler. My original traveler track was mounted on the seahood, which I thought flexed alaramingly. Plus, the original traveler just plain didn't work that well.

In the attached photo you can see that I mounted the new traveler on the Garhauer-provided risers in close to the same fore and aft position as the original track. This photo was taken right after I installed the Garhauer, and you can see where the original track had been mounted on the seahood.

The new traveler is bomb proof and works like a dream. Highly recommended.

E26 traveler and mainsheet_008.JPG

Nick J

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
I replaced the traveler on my 1980 25+ with a harken 22mm system. It was the only system that fit in the channel. I replaced the original teak strip with some black Starboard. I think other companies are getting closer, but Harken still makes the smoothest traveler. There was so little friction even under load that it really didn't need the 3:1 purchase. It was nice being able to have my kids help sail though.20191103_112216.jpg20191102_120529.jpg

Alan Gomes

Sustaining Partner
I replaced the traveler on my 1980 25+ with a harken 22mm system. It was the only system that fit in the channel. I replaced the original teak strip with some black Starboard. I think other companies are getting closer, but Harken still makes the smoothest traveler. There was so little friction even under load that it really didn't need the 3:1 purchase. It was nice being able to have my kids help sail though.View attachment 36549View attachment 36550
Harken does make great stuff. I did mainsheet trim on a J/100 for a few seasons and and their windward sheeting traveler was really slick.

rconehere

Member I
I replaced the traveler on my 1980 25+ with a harken 22mm system. It was the only system that fit in the channel. I replaced the original teak strip with some black Starboard. I think other companies are getting closer, but Harken still makes the smoothest traveler. There was so little friction even under load that it really didn't need the 3:1 purchase. It was nice being able to have my kids help sail though.View attachment 36549View attachment 36550
The original track on mine, was bolted directly to the fiberglass, no teak riser. With your riser it sits about the same height as mine now. I just decided to add a 3/4" mahogany strip and glass the whole thing to level. Easy clean and strong. So happy with the ease of operation now.

Sailingfun

Member III
Recently I replaced the "curve style" 3 points over the cabin with a straight one with mixed pieces. I use the Garhauer raiser and look and work very well.
Because I move the traveler 6" forward, I use the vang to control the main now.
Easy mod, inexpensive if you use used parts and you ride off the ugly curve traveler