• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Mainsheet

Brent Wright

Please Contact Admin.
I am looking for comments on different layouts for the mainsheet. My current layout is an end boom setup with attachment points on each side of the cockpit. I am considering a mid boom layout with a triangular setup over the companionway, it is said to be taken from an older Pearson layout. I am considering this over a Traveler because of cost $$. The main purpose is to clear out the cockpit for more usable area. Pros and cons will be appreciated.

Thanks!

John Young

Mainsheet layout

Brent;

I have a 1987 E26 with the mid-boom layout. While this is how it was designed at the factory, it is probably not the best. The advantage to this layout is it keeps the main sheet out of the cockpit. The disadvantage is that is creates uneeded stress on the boom. The cockpit setup, like an E30+ is actually a better way, although it can get in the way of the compananion way. This setup moves the dynamics of the stress more to the rear of the boom, spredding it out more.

Nigel Barron

Notorious Iconoclast
Ericson 27 Mainsheet

The timing of your email is quite interesting. I have a 1974 Ericson 27, which has the mainsheet attached mid-way along the boom to a traveller on the cabin top. I am currently in the process of doing what seems to be the exact opposite of you. I am changing to an end boom sheeting system, completely eliminating the need for a traveller. I am installing a bridle in the cockpit. The main reason is to make it easier to trim the mainsail while driving. Additionally, as someone else commented, the loads are better when placed at the end of the boom instead of the middle.

Nigel Barron
Seattle, WA.

Brent Wright

Please Contact Admin.
Thanks Guys:
I guess it is in the perfect spot already. Does the triangle attachment pattern work better than a traveler and carr setup?

Nigel Barron

Notorious Iconoclast
Triangle Setup

Traveller versus Triangle: It depends on what you are looking for. A traveller is handy because you can obviously raise and lower the boom along the center line. However, with a boomvang the same task can be accomplished and you are able to save weight and trim the mainsail while driving. These are the reasons I am changing. Personally, I also think it makes the boat look "cleaner" to not have the traveller on the cabin top, but that is a personal preference.

Nigel

Brent Wright

Please Contact Admin.
I understand now the purpose of having the mainsheet further out on the boom, but the configuration of the mainsheet setup still eludes me. My boat has the mainsheet attached on both sides of the cockpit and at the end of the boom creating a triangle pattern. With this setup movement in the cockpit is pretty troublesome. What are the benifits and dowsides of having a traveler or just a fixed setup mounted on the cockpit deck and still attaching to the end of the boom? Also the idea of having the controls further forward are better with a tiller being that steering and all running rigging are forward in the cockpit. Help??:confused:

Last edited: