• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Marina charges

patrscoe

Member III
During the winter, I put my sailboat on the hard at a local marina about 8 miles from my current marina slip, which does not have a full storage yard. I have used this specific marina for 10 years, even had a slip there at one time but it is out of the way and the current marina is in a better location. In the 10 yrs, I never had a problem with invoices or services.
Last month, the owners sold the marina and two weeks ago, I had my sailboat splashed.
Two issues:
Scheduled the splash during a gale and I had to leave my sailboat at the transit dock that day and then came back and sailed to my marina before sunrise. They charged me transit fees, even though I requested to splash later, if it did not work.
They charged me a 37' rate even though my sailboat is a 34-2; at most, my LOA is 34.8' but they said they measured the sailboat and that is the LOA which is impossible unless they took my ladder out and put it horiz. My anchor was not even in place.
After going back and forth, they still are charging the 37 LOA rate and also charging me for the transit at also the 37 LOA.
What rights do I have? Do I just provide the correct LOA per rate?
It is not the costs! It is the principle and that they are not performing a fair business practice and it really bothers me, especially that I have dealing with the previous owners for 10 yrs and if they went to their records, which I am sure they have, they would see it is a 34' sailboat.

Any thoughts?

goldenstate

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
During the winter, I put my sailboat on the hard at a local marina about 8 miles from my current marina slip, which does not have a full storage yard. I have used this specific marina for 10 years, even had a slip there at one time but it is out of the way and the current marina is in a better location. In the 10 yrs, I never had a problem with invoices or services.
Last month, the owners sold the marina and two weeks ago, I had my sailboat splashed.
Two issues:
Scheduled the splash during a gale and I had to leave my sailboat at the transit dock that day and then came back and sailed to my marina before sunrise. They charged me transit fees, even though I requested to splash later, if it did not work.
They charged me a 37' rate even though my sailboat is a 34-2; at most, my LOA is 34.8' but they said they measured the sailboat and that is the LOA which is impossible unless they took my ladder out and put it horiz. My anchor was not even in place.
After going back and forth, they still are charging the 37 LOA rate and also charging me for the transit at also the 37 LOA.
What rights do I have? Do I just provide the correct LOA per rate?
It is not the costs! It is the principle and that they are not performing a fair business practice and it really bothers me, especially that I have dealing with the previous owners for 10 yrs and if they went to their records, which I am sure they have, they would see it is a 34' sailboat.

Any thoughts?
I have had a couple of instances where boatyards or marinas “round up.” It feels a little cheap, but I can see there are circumstances where longer-than-stated boats show up (I’m the guy with a wind vane projecting 15” off the transom.) So, you’re not alone. I try to put it in the ‘don’t sweat the small stuff’ category in which Yacht owner wallets are expected to reside.

Slick470

Member III
Sorry that happened to you, and I don't know what options you have. Please do let us know what marina this is so the rest of us Chesapeake sailors can avoid them.

David Grimm

E38-200
When there is a gray area like this it's always best to ask first to avoid any suprise charges. I have a similar marina situation, winter storage about 5 miles from summer marina. I would have gone over leaving the boat at the transient dock ahead of time. Appears very dishonest of them to charge you for overnight nevermind the over length. At least you have the summer to find a new winter storage location.

patrscoe

Member III
That's the thing, I don't feel it is a grey area. They are 3' feet off - you would have to put my stern ladder out horiz. and to charge me $60 for transit because you launch me in a gale (this past Monday... gust of 35 to 40 kts)
My sailboat is not there and is located at my current marina so telling them to remeasure is not an option.
I have given them the sailboat data showing the LOA and they just ignored it. I mean, it's an Ericson 34-2 - why do I even need to provide that it is a 34' sailboat with a 34.8' LOA.....
Again, it's about a $30 difference in costs and I am not doing this to save money - I am doing this out of principle so the next guy is not stuck with the same issue, as I have a few friends that sail on a shoestring budget but..... I have decided to just move on. I have spent way too much time and energy, and I think my wife is tired of listening to the issue and my principles. I just will no longer go there with the new owners now in place. that will fix them.... right. Will they care? I am assuming not or they would have been more responsive but it's something.

Thanks for listening to me vent. I wish people would be more honest and fair to each other.

Mr. Scarlett

Member III
I know that some marinas charge for the length of boat that can fit in the slip. Paying for 40' when the boat is 35 for example. That wouldn't explain the transit costs though.

Tin Kicker

Sustaining Member
It sounds like it's not really about the $60 charge, it's the change in attitude and all I can say is to challenge them for a re-measure, then find someplace else. There's now a turd in this punch bowl.

I now own two 32 ft sailboats because of the attitude where the Ericson 32-3 has been stuck for the last 3 years. The Fairwinds owner won't let me do any work below the rub rails, has driven off most contractors so only one will work there, and he is so busy he hasn't been able to even give me an estimate despite being a great guy. The owner goes through yard workers (mostly minimum wage local kids) on what seems like a weekly basis. It's miles from Annapolis yet charging Annapolis prices. If I can't sell or give the boat away in the next couple of weeks I'm using the dinghy to tow it 10 miles to a marina charging 2/3 the price to put it on the hard and have a place to work on it.

Meanwhile, the folks were exceptional where I bought an ODay in January at Bowleys Marina near Baltimore and I couldn't recommend them more. I may go back there for next winter. That boat is now kept in a 67 slip marina where everybody looks after each other, called Hammock Creek.

patrscoe

Member III
And it gets better....
The previous owners sent out an invoice for the April storage (they sold the marina / closed on March 30th) and and the new owners also sent out an April storage invoice.
Good thing I am no longer there, as I splashed mid April but of course they are charging for the entire month.
Both are threatening interest. I told them that the marina, previous or new owners is creating invoice fraud - response, you need to pay this invoice.
What a mess.
I hate to bring up the marina's name but I cannot remember situation more messed up over the 30 yrs of sailing.
Yankee Point Marina. Make sure you get everything agreed upon upfront. In hindsight, I should have met with them as soon as they closed and got everything upfront and agreed upon.