• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Marine Tide Sailtrack on an E27

Mark F

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Tides Marine Sail track on an E27

Has anyone installed a TidesMarine Sail Track on an E27? I'm concerned about how pointy the mast profile is on the aft side (luff track).

Last edited:

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Tides system great if it will work on your boat.

Secret revealed: to edit the header, go "Edit," then "Edit Advanced."

JSM

Member III
Had one on my last boat (C&C 30) and found that it , along with lazy jacks and a stack pack to be one of the better things that i bought for that boat. The tides track rides up the the luff grove of your mast. I don't really see how the aft profile of your mast would make a difference.
I was going to install one on our E34-2 but went with a main sail down haul instead. Works like a champ !

Mark F

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Thanks for the input.
I have contacted Tides Marine about the mast profile but haven't heard back yet. The mast profile on my E27 has no flat area where the mainsail luff slides mount. Looking at the Tides Marine sail track shape it seems like it relies on a flat section on the back of the mast for stability. I'm hoping someone with an E27 (and the same mast shape) has done the upgrade and had good results...

mordust

Member II
Hi Mark,
Our previous boat was an E27, also electric motor BTW.
About two seasons before we went to our E32, we added the Tides Marine Sail Track.
As far as I know the mast was original and the upgrade was great.
BTW, even though we installed it ourselves, we bought it through a local sailmaker here in Cleveland.
It was as cheap, if not even a little less than buying direct.
He was happy to do it partly because we paid him to sew the new stainless slugs onto the sail.
I highly recommend the upgrade.

Bob

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Right, the proprietary Tides slugs have to be attached to the mainsail. So take a look at the current attachment you have (sewn tabs? laced twine?) and see if you want to take on the job or prefer to have a sailmaker do it.

DIY ordering of the Tides system starts with receiving from them their mast-track gauge, which is used to confirm your luff track size and type or groove. If a sailmaker or rigger is doing the job they'll already have the Tides gauge.

The new Tide track runs up the existing track so the Tides slugs can run on it. The new track is coiled on delivery and slides into the old track (which is why Tides needs to confirm the customer's current track design and size). Takes a bit of pushing but easy to do. The entry of the new slugs may require some expansion of the current mast gate, which sounds daunting but is actually a five-minute job with a grinder.

Oh, and the new system probably sits the mainsail luff higher on the boom than formerly.

But you wanted a new mainsail cover anyhow.

Last edited:

Mark F

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Hi Bob,

Do you remember if the track stuck out past the mast? I did get a response from Tides Marine. They said the track might wobble a bit but should be fine. Tides is sending me a sample piece of track to check out.

Mark F

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Hi Christian,

"But you wanted a new mainsail cover anyhow." Did I post that already? That's where this project started!

I what to install a stackpack, lazy bag... I'm currently looking at the Ullman Sails U-Stack. I single hand quite a bit and always drop the main before entering the Harbor. It would be nice (safer) to drop the main from the cockpit.

mordust

Member II
Hi Mark

Now that you mention it, there was maybe a slight wobble. Very slight. I was not overly concerned. Not sure what you mean about the track sticking out past the mast. Maybe this helps:
The entire length of the track does stick out aft of the mast. It is almost u-shaped, or a squarish c-shaped track or channel with the channel facing aft. It probably sticks out maybe 3/4 of an inch or so
aft from the mast, and the sail slugs slide in that c-channel just like they would in the mast itself. The forward part of the track, and running the full length of the track from top to bottom.
is shaped to fit your old sail track, and that is how it holds onto your mast. Like one continuous sail slug that is actually part of the whole molded (or extruded) track.

BTW. We have a Doyle sail cradle on the new boat and it works great. Although being height challenged I sometimes struggle at the doc trying to zip the darn thing up since the
zipper is on top.

Bob

JSM

Member III
Mark F.
Take a look at Mack Sails Mack Pack. Very simple design and easy to use. The zipper has a continuous line system which allows it to be zipped up from anywhere on the boom. Had both the Mack Pack and the strong track on my last boat. Made dropping and stowing the main almost as easy as roller furling.
The first thing I bought for our Ericson was another Mack Pack.
http://macksails.com/mack-pack/

Pamaya

Member I
Hi Everyone,

Thanks for the postings on the Tides Marine sail track. I am in the process of ordering a new mainsail due to a squirrel infestation shortly after the boat was hauled and before I went back to pull my new mainsail pack and canvas for storage...

I had just installed a mainsail pack/cover from Becky at leesailcovers.com

I am very happy with it - and it was very affordable comparably.

Here are a couple of photos of initial fitment.

Before squirrels...
IMG_20191215_1524010.jpgIMG_20191215_1540543.jpgIMG_20191215_1524010.jpg
Stuart

Mark F

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Hi Stuart,

Good looking 27! Did you install a Tides Sail Track? Also do you have any photos of your bimini open? Looking for solar panel mounting options.