• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Martyr Seaguard zinc spray zinga - - good or not?

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
Some people are using this zinc spray on their propellers on the BC coast, thinking it will help protect against corrosion. I have a folding propeller, in good shape, and I want it to keep well. I'm a little reluctant to use a product I don't know, and am also concerned to not gum up the gears in the folding propeller. Instructions say to spray it on the prop, and it dries quite quickly. Does anyone have any experience with this product, or opinions about it?
Thanks!
Frank

G Kiba

Sustaining Member
Not to want to add any more confusion to this topic, we use this company's other products with pretty good results. I saw that they have a stainless steel paint that I would like to try on some exposed surfaces. Mostly engine brackets and ferric parts. I have no deeper affiliation with this company.

Pete the Cat

Member III
Some people are using this zinc spray on their propellers on the BC coast, thinking it will help protect against corrosion. I have a folding propeller, in good shape, and I want it to keep well. I'm a little reluctant to use a product I don't know, and am also concerned to not gum up the gears in the folding propeller. Instructions say to spray it on the prop, and it dries quite quickly. Does anyone have any experience with this product, or opinions about it?
Thanks!
Frank
I used cold galvanizing paint on my SS propeller on my Tartan for a season. It did seem to limit growth, but not eliminate it--difficult to tell because our growth in Maine is wildly variable year to year depending on the weather and river flow into our harbor. I noted a bit a pitting in the SS blades and on the strut--not sure if it was there before and I was just obsessing. Sorry not to be more helpful, but my conclusion was that I could not confirm it did much and might have cause some electrolysis.

frick

Member III
For many years while sailing the south shore of Long Island, I use by annually, 6 dollar zinc spay paint from the hardware store.
I had a Martec Bronce Epiltic III prop.

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
For many years while sailing the south shore of Long Island, I use by annually, 6 dollar zinc spay paint from the hardware store.
I had a Martec Bronce Epiltic III prop.
Frick,
Did you notice any corrosion on the prop, as mentioned in the previous reply?
Frank