• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

mast leak on 30+

flycavalry

I have a 1984 30+ and have noticed that a small trickle of water runs down the wires that are behind the wood trim piece in the head. These wires run up the mast also. What have others done to fix this issue? Is there supposed to be a drain hole somewhere on the mast near the mast step to let out water so that it does not go down into the hull? Is it possible to make an inspection hole near the bottom of the mast to clean the area where the wires go into the boat and then eventually I can seal this area? The boat got hauled today for a bottom job so it would be a great time to tackle this project. Any information would be helpful. Thank you,

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
I have a 1984 30+ and have noticed that a small trickle of water runs down the wires that are behind the wood trim piece in the head. These wires run up the mast also. What have others done to fix this issue? Is there supposed to be a drain hole somewhere on the mast near the mast step to let out water so that it does not go down into the hull? Is it possible to make an inspection hole near the bottom of the mast to clean the area where the wires go into the boat and then eventually I can seal this area? The boat got hauled today for a bottom job so it would be a great time to tackle this project. Any information would be helpful. Thank you,
Hi,
There is a small opening at the back of the base of the mast, only large enough to allow a toothpick or small pen knife to clear the opening. It's so small that it can get plugged if not cleaned periodically.
The inside of the mast step can be caulked if you have the mast down to prevent water following the wires into the head.
Frank