• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Mast - Made by Kenyon?

Guinness38

Hi All, we purchased a 1982 Ericson 38' sloop in November of last year. We are loving her...and loving this site! We are working with a local rigger to update the track and car system on our main. The rigger is asking us if the mast is made by Kenyon. It is original to the boat. Does anyone happen to know if the Ericsons from the 80s have Kenyon masts? Any insight would be much appreciated!
Leigh and Mike
Guinness - Charleston, SC

TAPH2O

Member II
My daughter has a. 1977 E36c with a Lefiell mast but it was after market as the mast and rigging were stolen off the shipping truck from Calf. to Wa. So my question is the same what was the original mast as it doesn’t have a topping lift or down haul or vang and the goose neck just slides in the mast slot.

Attachments

• 15C56B17-6C25-481B-9B62-095DD8246FEC.jpeg
    15C56B17-6C25-481B-9B62-095DD8246FEC.jpeg
    93 KB · Views: 0

bgary

Advanced Beginner
Blogs Author
My 1984 32-III is definitely a Kenyon mast.

One of the ways you can tell is ... is the luff grove your your main an integral part of the mast extrusion, or is it a track fitted into a slots on the aft side of the mast?

On the Kenyon masts, the luff-groove is piece of track that slides into slots in the mast. Behind that track is a protected channel for mast wires. Below the gooseneck they used a flat piece to protect the wire channel.

Slick470

Member III
I think Ericson used a lot of Kenyon parts and sections on many of their boats and as far as I can tell our mast is a Kenyon section, but our mast was actually built by SparCraft.

Guinness38

My daughter has a. 1977 E36c with a Lefiell mast but it was after market as the mast and rigging were stolen off the shipping truck from Calf. to Wa. So my question is the same what was the original mast as it doesn’t have a topping lift or down haul or vang and the goose neck just slides in the mast slot.
It's like we are unraveling a mystery on each and every boat dating back as far as ours do! I'm going to take a pic of our mast slot and post it today.

Guinness38

My 1984 32-III is definitely a Kenyon mast.

One of the ways you can tell is ... is the luff grove your your main an integral part of the mast extrusion, or is it a track fitted into a slots on the aft side of the mast?

On the Kenyon masts, the luff-groove is piece of track that slides into slots in the mast. Behind that track is a protected channel for mast wires. Below the gooseneck they used a flat piece to protect the wire channel.

Thank you so much for the link and the info. It was really helpful. I'm going to take a pic of our mast and slot.

Rocinante33

Contributing Partner
Note that from the link to the Kenyon Spars Mainpage, above, for Cruising Sections, model 5280:

Common Mast usage: Alejuela 38; Cabo Rico 38*; Cal 35*; Contessa 35; Endeavour 35*, 37; Ericson 38, 380*; Hans Christian 33; Hanse 33; Horizon 39K Main; Hunter 36*, 37**, 54*; Islander 36*; Lancer 37, Corinthian 41; Lord Nelson 35; Morgan 36 OI; Orion 35; Roberts 38; Seidelman 37; US-35;