• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Mast Raising(Not dialup friendly)

RyPhil

I just had to share these pictures my wife took today of my mast raising.

Attachments

• Pictures 1-22-05 001.jpg
    Pictures 1-22-05 001.jpg
    265.1 KB · Views: 546
  • Pictures 1-22-05 008.jpg
    Pictures 1-22-05 008.jpg
    270.2 KB · Views: 513
  • Pictures 1-22-05 010.jpg
    Pictures 1-22-05 010.jpg
    235.9 KB · Views: 1,299
  • Pictures 1-22-05 015.jpg
    Pictures 1-22-05 015.jpg
    256.9 KB · Views: 657
  • Pictures 1-22-05 018.jpg
    Pictures 1-22-05 018.jpg
    223.4 KB · Views: 456

rssailor

Mast raising

Very interesting system. I take it that you do not move the boat very often? Where on the deck did you step the first mast? I have a tabernacled rig on my Ericson 25+ that I tilt aft with the spinnaker pole and this works out really well. My system is set up so that I can stand the rig up with no help. It is nice to have an extra hand though. Cool pics. What lake do you sail on? Ryan :egrin:

Bill Sanborn

Member III
I need to pull my mast but it is "stuck" to the boat. Did you have any trouble removing yours?

What does deck mounted piece that the mast sits on look like? Somehow I need to get at the corrision between the mast base and the mast.

I would reallly appreciate any insight you could provide.

RyPhil

The folks at The Sailboat Shop, Lake Pleasant, in Peoria Az, helped me raise the mast. They have a flagpole type crane that we used to lift the mast. We tied one end of a line around the middle of the mast, the line then went upto a block at the top. From there it went through a block on the deck and to a spinnaker winch. My dad turned the winch, I kept the tension and my son helped feed wires. The pros did the rest.

When we unstepped the mast, a crane(a real crane, not a glorified flagpole) pulled up and the boat stayed still. Beforehand, I sprayed the base with some breakfree and wacked it with a deadblow rubber mallet to jar some of the corrosion loose. My mast slides over the socket, so I was tapping directly on the mast. The boat did lift half a foot or so before it came loose. I would not have wanted to do this without a crane.

Last edited:

hinters

Member I
I had the same trouble when we unstepped the mast on my E-29. The drain hole at the base of the mast had become clogged with debris and the mast was partly filled with rain water. If you have the crane operator rock back and forth and side to side before lifting it should break loose OK. Good luck.
Pat Waters
E-35 II #244
Lions Den

Fencer21

Member II
Last September when I stepped mine I used a crane also. The mast came out pretty smoothly, lashed it to the pulpits then off to the boat yard we went.

In December when stepping the mast back onto it's boot I used 7 volunteers. 5 people to hold it in place while two of us went around and attached the shroud lines and stays. The whole process took around 11 hair-raising terror filled minutes. Not to mention how heavy the bloody thing is when your holding it with man power.

We did this while the boat (an E27) was sitting in it's slip, with all of the rocking back-and-forth the boat was doing, I thought on several occasions we were going to drop it into the water or onto one of the boats parked nearby. Luckily that didn't happen.

If and or when I ever step my mast, I will never use this method again to raise it back up. The crane was expensive, but for the peace of mind, it is almost worth it. When I get a chance, I'll post my pix as well. Nice job though, I wish our Marina had a yard arm or something like that.

Fencer21
Kassiopeia Hull #517

chrism

Inactive Member
Just curious... who here takes the mast down every year? There are special mast trucks with cranes on them all over this area... Riggers own them... I would say most of the masts come down in my area every winter.

Davis Modlin

Inactive Member
I had the same problem when I stepped my mast a couple of years back, But the plate just came of the deck screws and all !!! I filled the holes and Installed the new plate. It took only four people to restep the mast, One to operate the crane, Two to hold the mast, And I went around the boat and put the pins in. All was said and done in about an half an hour.

Davis
E29
Holy Guacamole
Ventura, Ca. :egrin:

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Like RyPhil's post read. I just had to share these.

Like RyPhil's post read. I just had to share these. These are some shots from last spring when I replaced the standing rigging and added stays for the radar mast (not shown installed yet). I also had the mast & boom painted with LP and all the internal wiring replaced. I also had a deck organizer fabricated that seats below the mast step. Also had the mast step painted with LP to prevent corrosion. I just felt posting more photos was a nice contribution to this site because photos require less written explanation.

Skipper Jeff, Out :egrin:

Attachments

• Mast.jpg
    Mast.jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 610

escapade

Inactive Member
To step, or not to step.......

I step my mast every year (have to, most roads don't have 50'+ clearance & I trailer it home). It costs $100.00 each way (down & up) which includes the crane operator & 1 helper. The helper goes to the top to remove/install the wind instruments. Entire operation typically takes 15 minutes each way. I always have all sails removed, boom off, & all halyards tied off. Considering that new mast sections cost $50.00+ per foot (40 ft + $50= $2,000) plus spreaders, tangs, masthead, labor to cut openings, cost to taper upper section, etc. you should be able to see some justification to have a yard w/crane or gin pole do it. Just not worth taking a chance when you're talking about an item that costs several thousand dollars. Many other ways to save money (cheap beer, etc) that are a much better risk.
Have fun & sail fast

:cheers:

Bud '88 E34 Escapade

Last edited: