• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Mast rake

Jaybee

Cocoa, FL 1984 30+
I can't really say I know what a normal amount of rake looks like but it does seem to be a little excessive on my mast?20220807_122653.jpg

I know it will be hard to say from this pic but hey it's the best I can do here.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
You'll have to measure. Many threads here on mast rake.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
IIRC, the E-30+ is fractional, so first you set up the mast for static rake. Then you use the lowers and backstay to add any bend to flatten the mainsail. Depending... on whether the main benefits from flattening.
(Our previous boat was a 26 foot Niagara with a (approx) 3/4 fractional rig, so we got to play around with backstay tension for the decade that we sailed it. Truth to tell, position and strategy on the race course was usually more important than perfectly shaping the main...)
:)

Kenneth K

1985 32-3, Puget Sound
Blogs Author
I had a similar concern about the apparent bend in my mast. Posted here:

The apparent "wrinkles" in my mast remain even when the fore and aft stays are fully unloaded. I think it has to do with the "tapered" mast on my boat. Don't know if the 30+ mast is tapered as well.

G Kiba

Sustaining Member
You can tell if the mast bend is too much if when you raise the main, it gets more difficult as the sail reaches the top. Be sure to reduce the backstay tension when not going upwind.

bigd14

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Looks similar to mine, but it’s hard to tell from the front as the upper section of the mast is tapered. This adds to the appearance of bend even if it’s not that much when viewed up the sail track.

Looks like you have running backstays?

Jaybee

Cocoa, FL 1984 30+
Looks similar to mine, but it’s hard to tell from the front as the upper section of the mast is tapered. This adds to the appearance of bend even if it’s not that much when viewed up the sail track.

Looks like you have running backstays?
Yes on the back stays