• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Mast Track [Tides, Damaged]

David Grimm

E38-200
20201027_124415.jpg
Hey Guys, See the crack in the hole. All the weight of the main sail rests on this pin that goes through the hole while the sail is down. Any suggestions on how to remedy this without replacing the whole track?

Fair Winds,

Dave

Attachments

• 20201027_124359.jpg
    20201027_124359.jpg
    123.2 KB · Views: 25
Last edited by a moderator:

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Well, Perhaps......

Reinforce both sides with pieces of SS, about 3X1X 1/16, and screw (tap) into the plastic sides about 3/8 of an inch?

Also, add the larger hole in each plate for a slightly longer pin.

David Grimm

E38-200
My eyes at 45 yrs old don't pick up the fine cracks I now see in these photos. Tides Marine keeps a pretty good database and shows that the track is from 2001! However sail hardware looks great. As it only gets exposed to the elements half the time (indoor winter storage). I wonder if tracks are sold separately? Thanks Loren.

goldenstate

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
My eyes at 45 yrs old don't pick up the fine cracks I now see in these photos. Tides Marine keeps a pretty good database and shows that the track is from 2001! However sail hardware looks great. As it only gets exposed to the elements half the time (indoor winter storage). I wonder if tracks are sold separately? Thanks Loren.
I think the tracks are sold separately, but if everything still works well, why not just drill another 1/4" hole half an inch higher or lower for the new stop and squeeze another 5-10 years out?

Loren's idea about reinforcement (mini hunsickers!) is good too, just need to get the depth of the screws right so as not to interfere with the slide.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Tides tracks have a lifespan--some say "equal to that of the sail." Which means, 5-10-15 years, depending. They're subject to UV degradation, so latitude and environment ( 12 months of exposure>). But replacing the track takes less than an hour.

The damage to your stop shows the force of a falling Tides mainsail :) .

Personally, I'd probably just keep an eye on the damage, or just drill another hole in the track. Doesn't seem critical unless heading offshore.....

(Oops. Failure to read preceding post; two demerits accepted)