• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Mid-boom mainsheet rigging?

adam

Member III
I have a problem with my mainsheet rigging.

There are 3 blocks on the boom, which are all behind the traveler. This means that the fiddle block and cam for the mainsheet are tilted 45 degrees backward.

This setup means that I cannot pull from chest level where I have the most leverage, and it also seems a bit dangerous because I cannot get the line out of the cam without reaching way forward.

It doesn't seem that this could be right.

So for other Ericson owners with a mid-boom traveler, how do you have your mainsheet rigged?

Cheers,
-Adam

mainsheet.jpg

Greg Ross

Not the newest member
Optional Main Sheet block arrangement

Best solution I can offer is to flip your Fiddle Block up-side-down, add on block and reave your main sheet as per the included sketch. Benefits are that you get your cam release in a more desirable-upward direction and you are free of the line clutch when pulling at the higher sheet angle. I believe your mechanical advantage should remain the same.
You might have to add an extra shackle or two to get clearance between the V-Blocks.
Not exactly elegant but the best I can come up with to address your dilemma.

Attachments

• optional Main Sheet set-up.jpg
    optional Main Sheet set-up.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 2,462
Last edited:

Blue Chip

Member III
Looking at your pic it seems more compicated than ours. I will take a pic this weekend. Also where in ALAMEDA are you? We are in Grand Marina D-11 and will be down to the boat all weeeknd..stop by.

treilley

Sustaining Partner
Move the aft most block forward of the other two thus reducing the angle of the fiddle block.

Looking at the block that is attached to the top of the fiddle bock I would assume that someone has added a block here in place of the stock setup of two blocks on the boom. My 35 had the fiddle with 2 blocks on the boom and was easy enough to handle. We did use a winch in high winds though.

You can also buy a fiddle block that has an adjustable cleat angle.

51649.jpg

Last edited:

adam

Member III
Looking at your pic it seems more compicated than ours. I will take a pic this weekend. Also where in ALAMEDA are you? We are in Grand Marina D-11 and will be down to the boat all weeeknd..stop by.

Don't bother with the picture.

Your boat is only a 2 minute kayak away from mine at Fortman. I'll drop by this weekend. :)

adam

Member III
Move the aft most block forward of the other two thus reducing the angle of the fiddle block.

Looking at the block that is attached to the top of the fiddle bock I would assume that someone has added a block here in place of the stock setup of two blocks on the boom. My 35 had the fiddle with 2 blocks on the boom and was easy enough to handle. We did use a winch in high winds though.

You can also buy a fiddle block that has an adjustable cleat angle.

Yeah, I've actually considered both of those solutions.

1) Moving a block forward would reduce my leverage by 25% (5' to 4' center block). This could perhaps be okay. The mechanical advantage I lose in the blocks, would probably be gained back in mechanical advantage from a stronger pulling angle.

2) A fiddle block with an adjustable cleat could perhaps be the best solution, though more expensive than moving a block.

But, before do anything, I wanted to see how other's had their mainsheet rigged.

I'm also just a bit curious to know if the boat was set up this way originally and has had this issue for 40 years, or if someone changed something along the way.

treilley

Sustaining Partner
I thought 29s had a traveler in front of the pedestal in the cockpit. Does yours have this? That fiddle block is something that would more likely be used in a cockpit with end boom sheeting.

BTW, you do not need to reduce the number of blocks by moving the aft most block in front of the forward block. Same number of blocks, you are just adding a mounting point and sliding everything forward.