• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Mineral Spirits Source for Calif? (solved)

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I am out and not heading for pickup in Colorado for two months.

Anybody know a company that will ship non-Cal paint thinner/min spirits here by Internet order?

My usual supplier just cancelled my order. (Technically, it's illegal to ship other formulas here)

Last edited:

Tomwine

Member II
Christian please send me a private message on what you want. Cant believe they don't allow Mineral Spirits in Ca.
Tom

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Thanks much, Tom, but I'll figure this out.

California --some counties, at least-- banned trad min spirits, and the result is a reformulated state-wide substitute which is mostly acetone, by its behavior and smell. It is lousy for slowing down drying time or even cleaning brushes.

Glyn Judson

Mineral spirits can be gotten.

Christian, In a lark I called the Santa Barbara Home Improvement Center or some such name to confirm that they have the good old mineral spirits and they do, Kleen(sp?) Strip by brand name. The reformulated product that you and I are used to must be restricted to the LA AQMD only in our area. Glyn

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Santa Barbara Home Improvement Center Confirmed

I was in Santa Barbara and loaded up with three gallons of actual min spirits.

Proof is that somewhere on the label it says "contains petroleum distillates/ or dilulente de petroleo sin odor".

Petroleum is what was banned by SCAQMD. The replacement SoCal "paint thinner" is mostly acetone, acetone being a safer solvent.

The two formulas have different properties and are really not interchangeable in the shop.

http://www.aqmd.gov/home/rules-compliance/rules

It's an air quality issue specific to the SoCAl environment. That's why the old formula is available in Santa Barbara County, but not in Ventura or LA County.

Here is some of the reasoning:

"The MIR value for acetone is approximately half that of mineral spirits.Therefore, a facility would have to emit more than twice as much acetone beforethe amount of ozone formed from acetone exceeds that formed by mineralspirits."