• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Mini inflatable dinghy recommendations

K2MSmith

Sustaining Member
Thanks for the info. The Takacat looks cool. Planning on a Honda 2.3 outboard..yes - I can go for that.

Separate, but related question... In the 60's when we used to go the the NJ shore for summers, THE small outboard to have on your 12' aluminum boat was a Mercury. (although my grandfather had a Johnson). I noticed they still make small outboards (a 41 lb. 3 hp) engine. Is Mercury still a good engine for a dinghy or should I get a Honda ?

Last edited:

1911tex

Sustaining Member
I think..not sure, but my 15 year old Johnson 2hp engine is plated made in Japan...perhaps Mercury, and all the other used to be American outboards are made in Japan as is Honda. Made in Japan excellent...made in China, boycott it!

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
The pedigree of outboard motors is even more confusing than that of tractors. You need more information than the name badge to determine who manufactured it. e.g. Some "Mercury" outboards are made by Tohatsu and some by Yamaha. Or some are half and half by Mercury and Yamaha. Johnson and Evinrude used to be part of the same company, but then Bombardier bought them and started selling Suzuki's branded as "Johnson." I have an orphan "Johnson" 9.9 and just buy Suzuki parts.

gabriel

Live free or die hard
Thanks for the info. The Takacat looks cool. Planning on a Honda 2.3 outboard..yes - I can go for that.

Separate, but related question... In the 60's when we used to go the the NJ shore for summers, THE small outboard to have on your 12' aluminum boat was a Mercury. (although my grandfather had a Johnson). I noticed they still make small outboards (a 41 lb. 3 hp) engine. Is Mercury still a good engine for a dinghy or should I get a Honda ?
The mercury is a rebadged tohatsu, very good engine and in my opinion more refined than the Honda as it is liquid cooled instead of air-cooled...

my experience with Honda is that the alloys they use are weak on anything from their car hood rods, to motorcycles cases, all of which I’ve owned and have cracked on my from ridiculously small impacts or nothing at all. My 02 about Honda.