• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Minimum Equipment List

1911tex

Sustaining Member
For your cell phone, a portable charged battery pack..a phone number list of local marinas, tow services, coast guard station, restaurants, fellow sailers, sheriffs department, etc., etc. And don't forget personal I.D. and proof of insurance. 5 gals of fuel. Potty odor tabs, can of brake cleaner (best grease remover, hand cleaner, etc) and shop towels, can of ant and roach insecticide.

Last edited:

Teranodon

Member III
A while ago, I had a tussle with my fuel system. A guy showed me how to bleed the injectors with the engine running. Scared the hell out of me. Now I carry a 17mm injector wrench, kept in situ.

InjWrench.jpg

goldenstate

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
A while ago, I had a tussle with my fuel system. A guy showed me how to bleed the injectors with the engine running. Scared the hell out of me. Now I carry a 17mm injector wrench, kept in situ.

View attachment 36201
Your engine compartment looks cleaner than most of the rooms in my house. Kudos!

Question #1: I don't really understand the point of bleeding the fuel system if the engine is running.
What problem are you solving? I would have thought the engine wouldn't run if the fuel system needed to be bled?

Question #2: That's an external fuel pump pushing diesel from your tank into your primary filter, yes? Why did you install it?

Filkee

Sustaining Member
The Right Tools

A tool for every job on the boat, on the boat. But boxes to hold them have sharp edges, and bags mean digging in the dark for the allen wrenches.

These roll-up bags, made of scrap fabric, have been working well and pretty much solved the problem.

They contain one (only) of each size and description necessary for all the usual jobs. They make it easy to see what you've got. They store in a soft package in our oddly shaped hull lockers.

The spanner bag has two sub-bags: one for socket sets and one for metric. Imperial spanners lie in the master bag. .

You can make the rollups yourself, or buy versions on line starting at only $10.

attachment.php
attachment.php
Love the bags. Have two that hold most of what I need. Keeping the sockets in some order without a rigid container still vexes me and again, I wonder which of the 40 or so bits will I never actually use?

nquigley

Sustaining Member
Love the bags. Have two that hold most of what I need. Keeping the sockets in some order without a rigid container still vexes me and again, I wonder which of the 40 or so bits will I never actually use?
Me too - I love the bags for wrenches (fixed and adjustable), screw drivers, etc. But I too am struggling to find a convenient way to store/display sets of sockets arranged by size. I have many sockets (from various small sets that came with inadequate storage systems), which I want to assemble into two sets: metric vs. non-metric, but can't think of a good way to keep them.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Perhaps acquire a "rail" and then slide it into a canvas tube?

I have a Craftsman socket set in its proprietary hard plastic case, but the case is a kind of clunky to store. Everything's a compromise, as the saying goes.

One Note about clean engine compartments...... ours is also clean.... same method: remove old dirty engine and clean the area, and install a new Betamarine. :)

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
Set of torx drivers required for the roller furler and no other purpose. Set of hex drivers required for the shaft coupler and no other purpose. Split ring pliers required for the water pump impeller and no other purpose.
I find stuff like that... disturbing. And it’s an escalating problem.

goldenstate

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
Blue masking tape
3-4 rolls at least
Masking
Labeling bags of items, items
Sealing up spliced lines going through sheaves
Applied to fingertips as temporary gloves.
Tidying up rolls of material

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Blue masking tape
3-4 rolls at least
Masking
Labeling bags of items, items
Sealing up spliced lines going through sheaves
Applied to fingertips as temporary gloves.
Tidying up rolls of material
Speaking of bags, we have about 5 sizes of zip-lok baggies, up to the gallon size. Very useful. The larger ones are good for disposal of used oil filters and fuel filters, for instance.

Last edited:

windblown

Member III
Couldn’t find any of those “bowels with non-skid bottoms“ (mentioned in post #5) on the West Marine site today, but perhaps they were popular in 2016. . .
I apologize for this comment that really adds nothing helpful to the conversation, but the typo made me laugh out loud, and a little levity is welcome these days.

Filkee

Sustaining Member
Perhaps acquire a "rail" and then slide it into a canvas tube?

I have a Craftsman socket set in its proprietary hard plastic case, but the case is a kind of clunky to store. Everything's a compromise, as the saying goes.

One Note about clean engine compartments...... ours is also clean.... same method: remove old dirty engine and clean the area, and install a new Betamarine. :)
Or this: https://www.atlas46.com/products.html#!/Mifflin-Socket-Roll/p/102793018/category=34912316

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Thanks Filkee. That's a company with quite an interesting array of canvas products, that I had not found before.