• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Mmm... look at this tasty mast step and compression plate (1978 Ericson 35 MKII)

knoisewater

Member I
Here is the picture album (14 total): http://imgur.com/a/Rcoi6

I took the mast off and have it in the yard getting new rigging while I work on this "little" project. I'm following this guide (http://home.comcast.net/~independence31/core/looksbad.html), but I used this forum and the documents to plan--and knew there would be a steel plate inside here. So, I cut it all out, and that's what I have! A flimsy mast step, and a completely corroded and flaky steel plate. Two of the screws holding the step down completely sheared in half when I unscrewed them (presumably from corrosion--you can see the leftovers in one of the pics). One of the other screws wasn't even hanging on to the step, which means there was a grand total of ONE screw holding the step down onto the plate (that's the one I drilled out). Awesome.

My plan is to go to a metal shop with both the step and the plate and ask them to make duplicates using new material, and to drill a few exploratory holes in the deck to check for core rot (if there is, then I will replace the core). After I polish it all up and make the step flush with the rest of the deck, I'm going to use some thick epoxy to glass the new steel plate in the same spot, then put the step back on top.

Should I still use steel for the plate? Or would aluminum work better?

The step screws seem to be threaded directly into the steel plate--that's something I need to specify with the machine shop, right? Or is that something I can do myself?

What material should the screws be?

Is there anything else I should do while the rig is down to reinforce this spot of the deck? Thanks.

Emerald

Hi,

I'm the author you reference on the mast step repair. From what you've said, I think you are well on your way. I would follow your nose on this, but the goal is to get back to a solid dry layer that you can then build back up from. I would be inclined to replace all coring with a marine grade ply or equivalent - you want this to withstand compression. With that in mind, I did not have any metal in my construction, but is your metal to spread load across an unsupported area? I'm not familiar with your design hands on. I have a compression post that takes the downward load (near) directly from the mast. As such, the shoe that is mounted topsides is aluminum and my screws just go down into the deck/core below. My inclination would be to replace it with stainless instead of milled steel. Holes being tapped might make more sense after it is installed than before, since you won't know exactly where it will be positioned, and you will want your shoe to be very even side to side in relation to the rig. This can be done after installation with the proper tap for a blind hole.

knoisewater

Member I
You're article has been very helpful, seriously--thanks for writing it.

As far as I know, I'm not sure what the steel plate is for.

We've narrowed down the cause of the crack to be the jib halyard, which ran to a block attached to the deck on the left side of the mast. Since I have a furler, it has always been tensioned, and applying an upward force. This block was inadequately supported underneath the deck, and so it just wrenched the deck up right there, causing the deck to lower right next to the step--which in turn caused a small crack years ago, and due to neglect, turned into the monster it is right now. Well, it was, until I took my dremel to it.

But underneath, the compression post has actually warped very slightly. Here is a before and after pic of when the mast was on, and when I took the mast off yesterday:

Screen Shot 2014-03-14 at 9.02.16 PM.jpg

bolt2.jpg

The post has returned to its original position. I'm honestly not too worried about it, since it is only a flex of a few millimeters. But, looking at the underside--I'm not entirely sure why the steel plate is there. The post is much narrower than the plate, than the step, and even the mast. To be honest, I think I could probably do without the plate and just make the step a lot bigger. But I'm a little hesitant to go against the original design, you know? Maybe the engineers had a reason for that.

After talking to some people, I think what I might do is just make a new mast step that is much wider than the previous one. I would then bolt that through the entire deck down to the cabin and put some serious fasteners and backing plates on the underside. The new step would have these hookups (http://pacificnorthwestboating.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/starboard-mast-base.JPG) so I could add the blocks to the step instead of the deck to better distribute the pressure.

Any thoughts on this?

EDIT: Here's what I'm going to go to my rigger with.

If the purpose of the steel plate is to distribute the load, than why not make the aluminum mast step wider? That can distribute the load quite well with fewer parts and a cleaner deck.

If the purpose of the steel plate is compressibility, then why not make an aluminum mast step with a thickness that provides the same compressibility (or bulk of modulus or whatever that is)? The plate is 3/8" thick, and just a quick google search on the stats of steel vs aluminum, a 3/4" thick plate of aluminum has the same compressibility as a 3/8" plate of steel.

i concur with everything else you've said about the marine ply.

Last edited:

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I would suggest using G10 fiberglass plating for the supporting part, rather than metal.

Loren

leighton

Member I
The old soft shoe...

Not so bad underneath our mast, at least at the deck. However, seems to be mostly powder that was holding it all together:

IMG_9522.jpg

The bigger problem for us was at the other end, where the mast compression post met the hull:

IMG_9552.jpg

Mostly rust down there, knocked big chunks loose with a hammer like a miner working a coal seam. Taking a break right now, while pondering next steps and getting materials together. Thinking about CPES into the wood support, which seems to still be solid, but extra protection can't hurt down there in the very boggy bilge. Between the hull and the post I plan on layering either sheets of G10 or Structural Fiberglass, laminated together with epoxy.
We're building from the hull up, while you're going from the mast step down.

IMG_9559.jpgIMG_9560.jpg

LeifThor

Member III
I would suggest using G10 fiberglass plating for the supporting part, rather than metal.

Loren
Loren thanks for this suggestion as I’m about to pull the mast and replace my rusting compression plate as well. Did you use the G10 or do you know an Ericson owner who used that as opposed to steel?? If I could get a years later feedback on using the G10 instead that would make my mind up. Thanks:)

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Loren thanks for this suggestion as I’m about to pull the mast and replace my rusting compression plate as well. Did you use the G10 or do you know an Ericson owner who used that as opposed to steel?? If I could get a years later feedback on using the G10 instead that would make my mind up. Thanks:)
There are several threads here from other owners, and G10 is a great choice. Strength of metal with no fear of corrosion. Our boat has the spar stepped on top of thick "hat stringer", level with the sole. This is more like the 80's Ericson's with their TAFG. Whether a spar is supported by an inside post or is thru-stepped, there is a similar need to have the bottom support equally strong, tho. Even original schemes with galvanized steel eventually will corrode away, in time. Unfortunately. Which makes an FRP replacement look better.

LeifThor

Member III
Good point, the ocean isn’t kind to any metal eventually. Thanks! Any best place to buy the G10, and size and thickness it should be?

I also have to contend with changing where the boom kicker is, and I’d like to attach the boom kicker to something like this. Structurally it makes better sense (I could be wrong and often am...) to not attach the boom kicker to the mast.

Attachments

• 97EFB530-CBBF-4F16-8E0A-E5ADF36D0A38.jpeg
    97EFB530-CBBF-4F16-8E0A-E5ADF36D0A38.jpeg
    288.5 KB · Views: 20

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Good point, the ocean isn’t kind to any metal eventually. Thanks! Any best place to buy the G10, and size and thickness it should be?

I also have to contend with changing where the boom kicker is, and I’d like to attach the boom kicker to something like this. Structurally it makes better sense (I could be wrong and often am...) to not attach the boom kicker to the mast.
My metro area has a couple of large plastics suppliers (wholesale / retail) that handle it. Available on the web from https://www.mcmaster.com

LowerHuron

Why wouldn’t you want to attach the boom kicker to the mast? Isn’t that what it is designed to do?

LeifThor

Member III
Why wouldn’t you want to attach the boom kicker to the mast? Isn’t that what it is designed to do?
Yes and no. Yes to attaching it to the boom. No to attaching it as low as mine is, which is approximately 2” above the bottom. If one could I think it would be better to attach it to a plate under the bottom of the mast

LowerHuron

I suppose if it’s very close to the base of the mast otherwise the geometry will be off as the pivot points will be different

LeifThor

Member III
Hmm, please tell me more about that. If we draw a point to imply the center of the mast, I agree it needs to be very close to the back side of the mast, but anywhere from the bast of the mast up to say 1.5-2ft above the mast should be ok.
The reason I suggested not to be to close to the bottom of the mast is that my mast has two cracks from base up to where the boom kicker is attached and I “think” (could be wrong lol) those cracks are due to it being mounted so low.

Attachments

• B256A999-C207-4EF1-B084-F527C57F4703.jpeg
    B256A999-C207-4EF1-B084-F527C57F4703.jpeg
    116.6 KB · Views: 33

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
If your mast is deck-stepped, there might be a problem with the support beneath. This pictured problem sould not be caused by any forces from a boom vang.

Last edited:

LeifThor

Member III
Oh there’s a problem all right. The compression plate underneath is so rusted out that the fiberglass deck has separated and lifted off a quarter of an inch. I am about to get the boat rerigged and replace the compression plate, and possibly repair the bulkheads but hopefully not too much, possibly new chain plates yada yada. It’s been a work in progress since I got her 18 months ago.

LeifThor

Member III
Anyone interested in working on their compression plate with their mast should read this thread and especially what I’m going to disclose here.

This is for a 1972 E35-2.

I recently pulled the mast off the boat and I’m working on repairing some water damaged bulkhead’s as well as possibly replacing the compression plate, and here’s what I’ve learned so far, and also would appreciate any input that people have that have also worked on this part of their boat.

My main dilemma right now is deciding if I should dig out all the material between the top of the beam running from the bottom of the hull to the top of the ceiling in the cabin area and the deck a space about 3 1/4 inches deep.

The good news is whatever is there has done it’s job well up until now. The part that failed 100% was above the deck in the form of a thick non stainless steel plate that had rusted and expanded and separated from the deck. The bad news is going from the deck down, it looks like a sandwich of fiberglass and wood and my concern is the word compressing as it does shows some signs of water intrusion. How this area has not compressed is a mystery to me especially given every Ericson I’ve ever looked at shows compression at that spot, commonly known as mast sag.

The most solid solution would be to dig it out and replace it with the material like G10, but I’m hesitant to remove a solution that has worked perfectly up until now 48 years after the boat launched.

I am a bit blown away that the 4 1/4 x 8“ mast going 42 feet straight up is being supported by a beam below it that is about 2 inches wide and 5 inches long but that’s Ericson.

I’ve tried my very best to take photos of the layered materials under the deck and would appreciate anyone that has experience with what exactly I’m looking at because I’m not exactly sure.

In the next few days I’ll decide one way or another to deal with the rest of the material between the deck and the top of the beam in the cabin. Lots of photos attached.

Attachments

• 1A72498C-ADF7-4ED8-A86F-72AC7FDE2970.jpeg
    1A72498C-ADF7-4ED8-A86F-72AC7FDE2970.jpeg
    217.7 KB · Views: 27
  • 3FEDC34E-55A3-48A4-9256-A34E989190BA.jpeg
    3FEDC34E-55A3-48A4-9256-A34E989190BA.jpeg
    148.7 KB · Views: 28
  • 7668710B-07A8-42FE-9C2D-21240B2FE80E.jpeg
    7668710B-07A8-42FE-9C2D-21240B2FE80E.jpeg
    452.8 KB · Views: 28
  • 57091D77-CA61-4DF3-858F-350FAF14D642.jpeg
    57091D77-CA61-4DF3-858F-350FAF14D642.jpeg
    119.5 KB · Views: 29
  • 9408E84F-6AF9-4E10-8EEE-062B6E3DF347.jpeg
    9408E84F-6AF9-4E10-8EEE-062B6E3DF347.jpeg
    128.1 KB · Views: 28
  • 8467F1F1-E4BB-433B-81D5-21F7CFC877E6.jpeg
    8467F1F1-E4BB-433B-81D5-21F7CFC877E6.jpeg
    124.9 KB · Views: 29
  • 32BC6ACF-FBE3-41F4-A417-0DCB3401369E.jpeg
    32BC6ACF-FBE3-41F4-A417-0DCB3401369E.jpeg
    124.4 KB · Views: 30

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Regarding the inside support post -- it get its strength from type of material and from being "in column".
(That's why the thousands of # of wood deck and the whole end of the roof above on our house can easily rest on two fir 4X4 posts.)
If so inclined, you could replace that post with a thick-wall aluminum post of about 3" OD. Some other makes of boat use SS.
As for the repair, there are some good photo essays here on that, and hopefully members can provide links.
Good luck!

LeifThor

Member III
S
Regarding the inside support post -- it get its strength from type of material and from being "in column".
(That's why the thousands of # of wood deck and the whole end of the roof above on our house can easily rest on two fir 4X4 posts.)
If so inclined, you could replace that post with a thick-wall aluminum post of about 3" OD. Some other makes of boat use SS.
As for the repair, there are some good photo essays here on that, and hopefully members can provide links.
Good luck!
right but do you know what the sandwich between top top of the deck and the top of the cabin area is made of including what type of wood or what kind of fiberglass??

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
In that era, for all builders, I would bet on plywood. Reinforcing with steel, and sometime even galvanized steel. Perhaps some veteran boat builders can enter the discussion?