• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Moisture in keel

gareth harris

Sustaining Member
After sitting outdoors with no deck for a decade my keel has been measured by an external sensor as having a high level of moisture. It is fully encapsulated in fibreglass. The yard that measured it does not know sailboats so can anyone advise on how to proceed?

kapnkd

kapnkd
After sitting outdoors with no deck for a decade my keel has been measured by an external sensor as having a high level of moisture. It is fully encapsulated in fibreglass. The yard that measured it does not know sailboats so can anyone advise on how to proceed?
Which year and model are you/we talking about? …Sounds like perhaps it’s an internal ballast keel??

If so, does the fiberglass sides of the keel have blisters or lumps on it? What are the temperature extremes where you live with regards to freezing temperatures? What areas did the water show up in on the meter?

Early on with my’73 E32-II the bottom of the keel was damaged and water leaked in. The top was well sealed and it never got to the inside of the bilge. After moving from Florida to Michigan it was important to get the water out to prevent freezing water expansion from damaging the glass further.

We drilled holes in key spots, let it dry out good, repaired the bottom damage, actually added more lead shot to replace lost shot fill, then filled and sealed all drilled holes before sanding/fairing and repainting.

gareth harris

Sustaining Member
My boat has been sitting outside with no deck on the Erie Canal for a decade. The hull was relined with epoxy in 1998 after the previous owner had let severe blistering set in. There is currently no obvious bulging, but your advice to drain it sounds good. I am going to visit a marina in Ithaca tomorrow which may be able to do the job.

Thanks, Gareth
Freyja E35 #241 1972