• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Motorbase Corrosion

Robert Trenn

Looking for information from experienced owner (mechanic) about repair of corroded motor base supports.
During a recent inspection before layup I became alarmed about the corrosion on the angle support of my '68 Ericson 30. The piece in question appears to be one of four steel angles running vertical from the hull to the bottom of the base plate which holds the A4. While it is very difficult to get a good view, it seems that repair of the problem is required.
This will, no doubt, require pulling the engine, possibly the fuel tank, and welding re-inforcement to the piece(s) in question.
Has anyone had a similar problem?

Phil MacFarlane

Member III
I recomend removing the iron motor mounts completely. Replacing them with solid wood, like oak and fiber glass. I did this to my e 35 II about 8 years ago when I repowered and have done several more since in other boats. My metal mounts where trash, and the way they were atached to the hull was with a blob of resin poured over the bottom bar.

Phil

Robert Trenn

Phil, thanks for your input. I had not considered wood as an alternative, but it does seem to be sensible.
I assume you were happy with the outcome. Do you still own that boat or have you sold it off?
Anyhow, thanks again for your contribution.