• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Moving the boat from Dana to Shoreline myself

tdskip

Member II
Due to the weather last weekend we push off moving the boat to Shoreline until this weekend. So this is the weekend (yeah, I know I've been saying that for months now :egrin:).

I was going to get up and out of the slip by 5 AM and just motor up. Any issues with doing that solo you think?

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner

toddbrsd

Ex-Viking, Now Native American
Welcome!!

Congratulations and welcome to the neighborhood. I am usually out behind the shelter of the headwall on Fridays. When I take out my friends, I usually head directly toward Shoreline Marina and tack near the cruise ships and either head out the "Gate" or just stay behind the wall depending on my "guests". Hope to see you out there. I am pretty easy to spot.

toddbrsd

Ex-Viking, Now Native American
You got it! I usually keep a camera on board. If I see you, I'll take a picture of you while under sail. I would like the same if you see me.

I also keep a handheld vhf at the helm, so you can hail me on 16. The current name of my boat is TREK (until I can find the time to change it in the proper manner!). Or if you forget the name, you can just hail me as "yellow hull sailing vessel!!!

Thanks

Last edited:

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Welcome to the area tdskip! I was sailing around Island White on Sunday. If you sailed up from Dana Point on Saturday you had a very nice calm and clear day. Not much wind early. Good for motoring up the Coast.

-Jeff
:egrin:

tdskip

Member II
So where we Jeff! I was out there around 1:30 to 3:30.

This was our first real sail in her with actual wind and stuff :nerd:

Turns out she is a good boat. Her main sail looks to be stretched, that or I'm just a dolt and I'm not trimming it properly. I used the storm jib and despite that and the main sail issue she was moving right along....

Is there a certain channel you folks use to talk amongst the Ericson mafia?

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
If your talking about a VHF channel, just hail the boat you want to talk to on channel 16 and tell the boat your hailing to switch to the channel you want to talk on. I normally choose 68, 69 or 72. Those seem to be the best for pleasure craft communications, although last Sunday there we're a awful lot of sport fishermen hogging the air time on 68 & 72.

I really don't use VHF for a lot of casual chit chat but it is great to discuss how and where to meet up on the water.

BTW I don't often sail down to Long Beach because it's often a up wind bash to get back to Pedro. We had a nice on shore last Sunday, so we went for it.